I'll happily pay the extra tax......

paulhalford

Visit site
I\'ll happily pay the extra tax......

in the interests oif environmental improvements IF :
- the goverment makes a similar charge on fuel for aircraft - after all, how many flights are for anything other than unnecessary leisure
- the government stops relying on my voluntary contribution to preserving lives at sea and on rivers and fully funds the RNLI
- the tax on using my ship's radio is abolished.

ArgoNot

Visit site
Re: I\'ll happily pay the extra tax......

When you talk about the government making a similar charge on aviation fuel you can only mean the fuel that airlines and commercial operators burn. But if, as your post suggest, you mean taxing aviation fuel for private and recreational flight, which might be considered equivalent to recreational sailing, you are mistaken in your assumption.

Pretty much all small, light aircraft burn petrol, or avgas as it's known. That stuff is the most expensive petrol you can buy, much dearer than the stuff you get from the forecourt of your garage to use in your car. The reason used to be that since it was a petrol it could be used in a car and therefore it should have the same duties applied to it, and it still does. Nowadays it is unlikely that (a) you would find anyone to pump it into anything other than an aeroplane for liability reasons (b) it would be a rational thing to do since avgas is heavily leaded, much more so that was the old 4 star, so that a small whiff of the exhaust would destroy the cat in jig time with the resultant heavy bill for replacement.

Consequently, most recreational fliers already pay more for their fuel than anyone else.

I'm with you on the ship's radio thing, though.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

The quantity of fuel used by leisure boating is so tiny by comparison to road and aviation use that any claim made suggesting that additional tax would be of significant environmental benefit is a load of BS.

I don't think the RNLI are so short of cash that being funded by HMG, with concomitant inefficiencies in budgeting, has any future.

Not a troll are you?

cliff

Visit site

I agree with abolishing the tax concession on ALL aviation fuel - people would think twice before making unecessary flights to the costa del whatever etc.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif
“Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity”
Skype id:cliffillupo

ShipsWoofy

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
- the government stops relying on my voluntary contribution to preserving lives at sea and on rivers and fully funds the RNLI

[/ QUOTE ]

No No No, just No!

Could you imagine a civil service run RNLI. Budgets, buy cheap, run stock that is so old your average yacht has better equipment. Waiting months for them to buy spares etc.

Then there would be full time lifeboatmen, who just need a job, nothing to do with experience etc. Then employment law, H&S say it is too rough and there might be a danger if you launch in anything over F5.

Then job creation schemes, out of work six months, make em crew the lifeboat for dole + £10 per week etc.

Don't believe me, hmmmmm, I bet I am not too wide of the mark.

ccscott49

Visit site

I totally agree with you Mr. Staffy! Keep the [no thanks] (government) out of the RNLI!!!!

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

This idea of certain flights being leisure and others business is absurd - in practice about 99% of all flights are involved either directly or indirectly in optional leisure.
A businessman flying out to do a deal on DVD recorders, cars, washing machines is in effect concerned with optional expenditure and is no different to taking a trip to the Costa del Sol.

Name one aircraft use that is not directly or indirectly involved with leisure/optional luxury expenditure? There are very few.

In our society almost all expenditure is optional luxury expenditure.

tcm

Visit site

i agree.

also, this issue neatly encapsulates the uelessness of using olde worlde taxation methods in the modern world.

more interesting is the recent reversal of the european project. I wonder if this will be offered as "making an effort"

niceto see u around paul, hope boat all ok.

chops_uk

www.varne.co.uk

Here Here
It seems criminal that this form of transport and unnecessary budget flights are effectively encouraged by our government.

Asking friends if they want to join me for weekends in the West Country, I've had the response more than once that it just costs too much to drive there, and they'd find it cheaper to fly abroad for the weekend.. isn't that MADNESS for the balance of payments and general good of homeland tourism?

fireball

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Could you imagine a civil service run RNLI. Budgets, buy cheap, run stock that is so old your average yacht has better equipment. Waiting months for them to buy spares etc.
Don't believe me, hmmmmm, I bet I am not too wide of the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm - when was the last time you walked around government/council offices? They are far from the penny pinchers we'd like them to be .... mind u - the equipment would probably not be kept at the current high level either ...

ShipsWoofy

Visit site

Just finished working for the RAF as an MoD employee, similar use of equipment in a way.

My point still stands!

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

fowey

Visit site

Help me. Can you tell me how much more it would cost to run a four cylinder Volvo penta diesel for say 100 hours a year (10 weekends of 10 hours coastal cruising a year) if the taxation was added.

rpthomas

Visit site

Grief! We had to motor from Bayona to Gib, and the fuel bill would have been awful had it been taxed. What can the Government actually claim to be providing Yachts to justify the taxation? Except more bl..dy legislation......

R

klanky

Visit site

When did the Government ever have to justify any form of tax increases? The sad fact is that oil is a finite resource and the demand for it is forever increasing so the crunch day is approaching and can only be delayed if we reduce demand, but we won't because the human race is stupid!!!!!!!

JasB

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

Could you imagine a civil service run RNLI.

[/ QUOTE ]

It works for the RAF SAR Helicopters, and the Fire Brigade, Police, Ambulance...all centrally funded (Ambulance might be an exception)

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

>>
Fire Brigade
>>
Rememebr the firemen's strikes? What might be the lifeboat equivalent of the Green Goddess then?

Fire service goes on your Council Tax, can you imahine the furore of Nottinghamshire Council Tax having a "lifeboat precept"?

JasB

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
>>
Fire Brigade
>>
Rememebr the firemen's strikes? What might be the lifeboat equivalent of the Green Goddess then?

Fire service goes on your Council Tax, can you imahine the furore of Nottinghamshire Council Tax having a "lifeboat precept"?

[/ QUOTE ]

as it is council tax perhaps Notts County wouldn't pay it?
and as for the firemans strike, I believe that it was suspended temporarily if there was any risk to life?