If Only...

Poignard

Visit site
We have enjoyed Marks & Spencers tinned curries and chillie.

Maybe not as good as home-made but very nice after a day's sail when a quick and tasty meal is wanted.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
We don’t seem to have the range of tinned complete meals in the UK that are edible. The best tinned meats though are the ones you get from M&S. We’ve successfully passed of their Chicken in White Sauce as a home made dish to someone who wouldn’t feed tinned meat to their dog. “That was delicious” she declared, and refused to believe it was tinned grub until we produced the empties.
The M&S tinned steak is superb; plenty meat, no ‘tubes’ or gristle. Same goes for their mince. Fantastic if you lack a fridge on board.

The Q

Visit site
In days gone by I used to get complete meal in a tin no problem.. they were self heating cans though.. very handy when single handed.

Tescos do (not self heating)
Beef casserole,
Beef Bolognese,
Beef ravioli
Chicken korma
Beef stew
Chicken in white sauce.
Ratatouille
Chilli con carne,
Plus of course.... Fray bentos pies...
And more.
Add a can of boiled spuds and your there..

johnalison

Visit site
I am happy to eat tinned food, stews or soups, when fresh food is not available, but there is always something about the thick and gooey texture that stops me from really enjoying them.

bikedaft

Visit site
even Morrison's have a reasonable selection of tinned meat and fish. add curry/chilli powder, great for a quick meal in a remote spot.

not up to the standard of the OP however, they look delicious,

capnsensible

Visit site
I reckon one of the interesting things about long trips, more than fresh victuals last for, is being ingenious with tinned food. Gett8ng good dtuff to start with helps so much. But you can do a lot with corned beef!!

capnsensible

Visit site
I think cooking a meal on passage from ingredients passes the time and provides much better food.
It certainly does. But fresh doesn't last. Salad stuff mebbe a week. Most fruit mebbe two if lucky and it hasn't been chilled. Carrots, spuds and most other veg, 2 weeks ish. Onions might stretch to 3. This is all with taking well promulgated precautions.

Its very disappointing to dip into your ships stores and find stuff has gone rotten. It can happen quite quickly. Especially as you go tropical.

Baking bread and making cakes is a great crew pleaser.....until the flour starts moving!!

doug748

Visit site
Three things I generally stock up when in France:

1708170009867.png

These are pretty standard sauces, in tins and jars but cooked with meat, never seen anything like it in UK . Just add pasta and it's a meal.

1708170336743.png

Cut green beans, quality, don't find them everyday in UK.

1708170491298.png

Petit Suisse yogurts. Cant find them in the UK. Inexpensive, not sweet and creamy, ie made for gentlemen's taste, not the girls or children. They keep very well.

Someone could make a business around introducing these to the UK.