If I buy a boat in Spain will I need the ICC to sail localy.

nickf

Visit site
[QUOTE=Paw Paw;5318992

I can't be bothered to keep on repeating; When was anybody you know of, at first hand, ever been asked for an ICC?

Michael[/QUOTE

I was in Altea, Spain.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I can't be bothered to keep on repeating; When was anybody you know of, at first hand, ever been asked for an ICC?

I am, every year when I enter Umag, Croatia, from my home harbour in Italy. Well, it needn't be an ICC, it could be any one of the list they accept. I have witnessed the rejection for entry of someone with no qualification there, but that was by the old curmudgeon of a harbour master who has since retired - he refused me entry once because the insurance certificate I tendered was out of date. A call to the head office in Zürich who offered to fax the current copy was turned down, no, he had to have the original. I cannot literally say they still demand it because now, without being asked, I hand over registration, ICC, insurance certificate and VHF SRC when entering, which I know are officially required, and wait to be told how much I have to pay. Passport and crew list will have been already processed at the customs pier police post before going to the harbour master's office.

All Croatian charter companies have government instructions to demand an ICC before accepting charterers - plus they have to have someone on board with a VHF SRC. So I was informed by a charter company manager in Split. Dunno how stringently they apply that, I've never chartered there.

RupertW

Visit site
I am, every year when I enter Umag, Croatia, from my home harbour in Italy. Well, it needn't be an ICC, it could be any one of the list they accept. I have witnessed the rejection for entry of someone with no qualification there, but that was by the old curmudgeon of a harbour master who has since retired - he refused me entry once because the insurance certificate I tendered was out of date. A call to the head office in Zürich who offered to fax the current copy was turned down, no, he had to have the original. I cannot literally say they still demand it because now, without being asked, I hand over registration, ICC, insurance certificate and VHF SRC when entering, which I know are officially required, and wait to be told how much I have to pay. Passport and crew list will have been already processed at the customs pier police post before going to the harbour master's office.

All Croatian charter companies have government instructions to demand an ICC before accepting charterers - plus they have to have someone on board with a VHF SRC. So I was informed by a charter company manager in Split. Dunno how stringently they apply that, I've never chartered there.

8 years of cruising Greece, Italy, Spain and mostly Croatia we have never been asked for ICC which is lucky as I’ve never got round to having one. But in Croatia they often ask for a skippers licence and my Yachtmaster cert seems fine

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
8 years of cruising Greece, Italy, Spain and mostly Croatia we have never been asked for ICC which is lucky as I’ve never got round to having one. But in Croatia they often ask for a skippers licence and my Yachtmaster cert seems fine
Because it is one of the accepted "certificate of competence" qualifications, along with the ICC, in the official pdf file list, here.

macd

Visit site

Presumably none of those years in Greece has been recent. Qualifications (ICC or other, although ICC is most widely recongnized) are required before being issue a DEKPA, and a DEKPA is required before cruising in Greece. DEKPA applications were somewhat different when this old thread began.

RupertW

Visit site
Presumably none of those years in Greece has been recent. Qualifications (ICC or other, although ICC is most widely recongnized) are required before being issue a DEKPA, and a DEKPA is required before cruising in Greece. DEKPA applications were somewhat different when this old thread began.

2013-2016 in Greece and DEKPA no problem without ICC

Tony Cross

Visit site
2013-2016 in Greece and DEKPA no problem without ICC

That has now changed.

Indeed it has. The law that introduced the new DEKPA requires an ICC to get one - though some PP seem to take a less than rigorous attitude and I've heard of people getting a new DEKPA without an ICC. I even know one couple who forged ICCs on Photoshop and got away with it.

I was involved in a minor incident in Greece some years ago that required a Pan-Pan and was subsequently detained by the PP. They wanted to see my ICC and I was extremely glad I had one!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We've had recent threads where the PP have said that an ICC is not required to obtain a new DEKPA if the boat/skipper are visitors and are registered in a country where an ICC is not required, like the UK.

I've no idea whether it's univerally true but I'll probably soon find out. :eek:

Richard

Tony Cross

Visit site
We've had recent threads where the PP have said that an ICC is not required to obtain a new DEKPA if the boat/skipper are visitors and are registered in a country where an ICC is not required, like the UK.

I've no idea whether it's univerally true but I'll probably soon find out. :eek:

Richard

I was involved in a very small way with the new DEKPA rules for the CA and I did have a copy of the Greek law that introduced it (I not longer have that copy unfortunately). The law itself stated that an ICC must be produced in order to get one, though as I mentioned, some PP take a more relaxed position and others make up their own rules.... ;)

Contest1

Visit site
Surprised to see this thread reappear!
I'm sailing regularly in Spain since buying my Contest 29 and never been asked for the ICC.
Got one just in case anyway.
Now if only Ireland would get on with the promised Small Craft Register I would be totally legal flying my Tricolour.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
A stumble of the keyboard - it's an EU recommendation, recognised by the UN.

No, it's an EU thing, recognised by the UN, and accepted throughout the EU (even though some countries have not yet signed up for it) as adequate for visiting sailors. And, no, it doesn't replace local certificates if those are required for local residents sailing locally registered boats. Excepting for leisure boats on European mainland inland waterways, when it's the only means of registering the fact that you've passed a CEVNI test - you know the inland waterway rules.

Indeed, neither the UN nor the EU legislate for individual countries. However, when navigating the waterways of France, the EU recommendation (already posted) has been incorporated in French law. The reasons were sound - many European waterways are boundaries between two countries, and just as many pass through many countries. So a universal Europe code was established - the European inland waterway equivalent of IRPCS.

The French requirement is for a CEVNI. However they usually tolerate an ICC instead but are not obliged to.