Idiot lay outboard down on wrong side ... oil everywhere.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
When trying to get my new outboard onto the rail I discovered the crane fitted to the boat is too low, and the outboard is fookin heavy. In the process of finding this out, the outboard, a Mercury 9.9 EFI, ended up on the bathing platform laid on the wrong side. Oil has escaped. I have not tried to start it. Does anyone know what the damage is and how to sort it out?

lustyd

Visit site
It won't be damaged if you don't start it. It'll smoke a lot, and you'll need to get the oil out (and fill the oil) before you start

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Pull the starter cord with the kill switch off, give it 10 or so strokes. You’ll know for sure if it’s going to hydraulically lock. If it turns over like that, starting will cause no problems as long as there’s still oil in it.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Clearer that way, yes.
It actually calls for a thorough cleaning everywhere on the and under the cowling after putting it in normal working position (upright). Leave it for some time to allow any excess oil to run out. Then check the oil stick. A 4-stroke has valves so hydrolocking is unlikely to happen, but any oil inside the air intake (filter etc.) and cylinders will create smoke when it starts. If a lot, sparkplugs will foul.

1723729841852.png

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
. . . A 4-stroke has valves so hydrolocking is unlikely to happen . . .

i don't think that necessarily follows. It is certainly possible to damage a 4 stroke by having fluid, whether water or oil, in the cylinder(s). I agree that is unlikely that the cylinder does have enough oil in it to lock up, but not because it's a 4 stroke.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
i don't think that necessarily follows. It is certainly possible to damage a 4 stroke by having fluid, whether water or oil, in the cylinder(s). I agree that is unlikely that the cylinder does have enough oil in it to lock up, but not because it's a 4 stroke.
A 9.9hp is probably 300cc, twin cylinder, 10:1 compression. On the power stroke it takes 15cc of oil to create a lock.

dunedin

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your troubles - hope get sorted.
But perhaps you now understand why on other threads some of us said our priority for an outboard for a tender is not HP but KG -ie priority is weight, weight, weight. Small and 2 stroke helps also.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site

Hence "unlikely". A small volume cylinder as in this case should be ok. If in doubt, remove the sparkplug(s).

ylop

Visit site
I've certainly had enough oil in the cylinder to prevent it turning over on the pull start from incorrect storage. Remove the plug(s), place some kitchen paper / rag at the plugs to catch the oil. Pull starter 10 times. Wipe any oil off the plugs. Refit the plugs. Check the oil level. Off you go - probably smoking like a 2-stroke for 5-10 mins. You will find oil continues to find its way out the cowl for weeks - because a tiny drop can make a huge rainbow slick! Washing up liquid is good to mask your misdemeanours!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
In fact you’re more likely to have a petrol hydraulic lock than an oil one on a 4 stroke. Not to mention it’ll be hard to start, plugs soaked in petrol. A good twirl with no plugs is a good call.