Idiot idiot idiot

William_H

Visit site
I think OP approach is sensible. ie leave as is and see how he goes. Leaving battery on may not take batteries down to zero. Much depends on what is taking current. Now an old incandescent lamp will take a battery down. But LED will stop drawing current as volts drop. Radio also will probably not draw much current as volts drop around 6 or so. Instruments probably similar. OP seems to be concerned voltage of house batteries has not risen to near 14 when (I presume)off charge. Perhaps he is expecting too much. In the end after some time of charging house batteries the condition of the batteries will become obvious if they will or will not do their job for a decent time. ie if they go down quickly. Don't forget to divide the 2 house batteries and check each individually will give a decent discharge over time and will also start the engine. One may be better than the other. ol'will

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Mine is unwritten but reasonably memorable - Gas off, Seacocks off, Batteries off, F*** off.
Ours says much the same, written with a label printer. Now I think about it, it’s on the top edge of the washboard. That lives in it’s own garage under to cockpit floor with that edge sticking out. The list is therefore ‘upside down’ when the board is in place, and as it’s visible to visitors (crew don’t count, but the Commodores wife does) the very last part is unwritten, like yours.

billyfish

Visit site
That did it. 14.2 on the start and 13.9 on the 2 house. Just a bit poorer .£38 a night. Blimey won't do that again. South Coast marina's....don't start

Refueler

Visit site
It might take a good, "intelligent", multi stage charger w/ recovery feature to really give it a chance.

Note that such chargers should be left alone to the job, completing all stages

IMHO - if battery does not come up to full - its one of two things :

Many chargers actually do not bring batterys to 100% - some stop at about 93% .. some higher at 95 - 97% ....
or
Battery is 'naffed' ...

So-called Intelligent chargers in this case - I doubt any better than any other charger ... IMHO of course

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The trouble with intelligent chargers in my experience is that they do not allow for moments of unintelligence frim the owner. Most won’t charge a battery from zero. One I know of, supposedly doing corrective therapy on an XOD solar/bilge pump setup, has intelligently decided that it’s a 6 volt battery.

oldgit

Visit site
"We" thought we had got away with this...................
The engine start batteries survived and charged back up, still in use.
Both leisures (very expensive massive Vetus jobbies) did not recover , however both the leisure batteries did have some life left and were "repurposed" on the end of a solar panel running a few LED lights in a shed.

billyfish

Visit site
Yep, when I got up the charger was on and 13.9volts now its off and 13.1 its a old dolphin charger do they not cut in till a certain low voltage is reached. Not sure i understand

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
IMHO - if battery does not come up to full - its one of two things :

Many chargers actually do not bring batterys to 100% - some stop at about 93% .. some higher at 95 - 97% ....
or
Battery is 'naffed' ...

So-called Intelligent chargers in this case - I doubt any better than any other charger ... IMHO of course

One difference is their ability to start at all when they do not sense a minimum of power from the battery.
Workaround can be to connect a better battery in parallel - and remove once the charger has started, thus continuing "healing the patient".

Refueler

Visit site
One difference is their ability to start at all when they do not sense a minimum of power from the battery.
Workaround can be to connect a better battery in parallel - and remove once the charger has started, thus continuing "healing the patient".

But LA batterys do not 'heal' ... that's one problem. You can desulfate a battery when its only slightly sulfated - but once the condition affects work - its too late.
Any recovery is very short lived ...

lustyd

Visit site
Mine is unwritten but reasonably memorable - Gas off, Seacocks off, Batteries off, F*** off.
You don't cover the windows, lock the hatch, lock cockpit lockers, check the lines, check the sails/bag? Not even a long flush of the loo for preventative maintenance? Not even bringing in the ensign?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We left our Kiwi boat-now with a new owner- for 29 months during Covid. 2x110ah House batteries, 1x90 ah starter battery.

Everything turned off, but two old-10 year-20w solar panels plus 1 really old-16 year-20w solar panel, in parallel, charging through a cheapo chinese Regulator.

We visited the boat Januay 7th. She started right up, house batteries at 13.4v.

Way to go.................................................

Sandy

Visit site
With all the comments following mine about checklists here is my 'closing the boat' one.

1. Close all hatches;
  2. Pull water sensor and replace with blanking plate;
  3. Turn off gaz under cooker;
  4. Close engine sea cock;
  5. Close sea cock under galley sink;
  6. Close sea cock under heads wash hand basin;
  7. Close both sea cocks for heads;
  8. Switch off all electrics on switch panel;
  9. Turn Master switch to off;
  10. Check that all keys, phones are in the go-ashore bag;
  11. Pick up rubbish bag;
  12. Turn off at gaz bottle;
  13. Unplug and stow Shore Power lead under transom seat;
  14. Record the voltage, Ah used and generated, percentage full the batteries are and enter this is in the log book;
  15. Close and lock hatch;
  16. Tie sail tie round the Genoa; and
  17. Check lines.​

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
With all the comments following mine about checklists here is my 'closing the boat' one.

1. Close all hatches;​
  2. Pull water sensor and replace with blanking plate;​
  3. Turn off gaz under cooker;​
  4. Close engine sea cock;​
  5. Close sea cock under galley sink;​
  6. Close sea cock under heads wash hand basin;​
  7. Close both sea cocks for heads;​
  8. Switch off all electrics on switch panel;​
  9. Turn Master switch to off;
  10. Check that all keys, phones are in the go-ashore bag;​
  11. Pick up rubbish bag;​
  12. Turn off at gaz bottle;​
  13. Unplug and stow Shore Power lead under transom seat;​
  14. Record the voltage, Ah used and generated, percentage full the batteries are and enter this is in the log book;​
  15. Close and lock hatch;​
  16. Tie sail tie round the Genoa; and​
  17. Check lines.​
Mine is .
SHRIEK is a pneumonic I say each time I leave the boat. Not failed me yet.

(S) Stove
(H) Hatches
(R) Rudder
(I). ?
(E) Electrics
(K) Keel

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
...... Pull water sensor and replace with blanking plate;

Reminded me of how I solved the "fouled log wheel" problem ....

I carry a spare log/depth/temp sensor anyway so I fitted a couple of Superseal connectors to the harness and both sensors.

image.jpg

I now unplug and remove the fouled sensor, swapping it for my spare when the log becomes fouled- and then clean the fouled one at my leisure - it then becomes the spare. No longer use the blanking plate and only do the swap if the log isn't working.

It means only doing one swap operation to get the log working again. Previously spent way too much time swapping blank and sensor and cleaning up the mess afterwards. The other benefit is that you can take the sensor to the sink to clean it, instead of in-situ while attached to the wiring.