Icom 802 ssb

Good

Visit site
Hi if i install a Icom 802 ssb in my boat can the authority's confiscate it if thy com on board in my boat sailing in EU on a EU reg boat? (not using it) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Your jokeing!! Buy a shot gun as well keep them off!!

If you use it a a receiver thats fine,and you are allowed to communicate by any meens in an emergency so your SSBs safe just use it at sea at anchor and in port when your nor next to a gun boat! It can happen if you dont notice what sort of boat arrives!!

If you need a call just listen around and make one up most do that anyway otherwise get a new call or vhf call which in most european contries is test free and upgrade with the comm union Geneva agreement to a full licence on the old call
or change your VHF to VHF in a participating contry and automaticly upgrade

Then you can join the scuttelbut SSB club on 4 and 13 megs more info stay in touch!on our marine bands for which you can get a call againt cash!! Amature bands would be 3.7 and 14.4 megs its the drink!!!

Good DXing and best 73s

shmoo

Visit site
"Then you can join the scuttelbut SSB club on 4 and 13 megs more info stay in touch"

So is there one then? When and what channel?

trouville

N/A
Visit site
yes you can!It seems this summer there was a net sadly proposed from a single post! many as i left their SSBs on land! It was a pity

Another point was that the "net controlers"of the day dident always get to their boat! so many "fat" cats!! sleeping over the winter we should set up a net.

I ask you if your 14miles offshore and you start taking water vhf to far off unless luck telephone umm ssb perfect a call to security on 2meg "ch16" is still moniterd and a call can be made on any frequency by any means

Better you can keep in touch with others find ports with a place winter portsfor liveaboards and others that want security, There is skype mobile phones but all cost and arnt always convenient moveing from Spain to France then Italy before Malta each is better with a ne wphone card or organised SSB!

lets get it set up for next year what radio do you use? or are you looking for one that suitable?Advice given

shmoo

Visit site
Thanks for offer of advice but Ok really - radio set up and works. Planning to replace braid radials and keel connexion with 75mm copper this winter for few extra db but that's all.

I just got the impression from the earlier post that there was a net already in operation but I seems, from what you say in your last, that there's not.

I don't want to get involved in organizing one. I have barely enough oranization for myself - none to spare I am afraid!

Regards
Peter

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
Tad of duff data there!!

By having an M802 on your vessel you have the potential of committing two offences.

First having the kit available for use, second is using it.

If the radio can transmit saying you only use it for RX will not get you out of the poop!

Each offence carries a fine of about £5000, they can take the kit and inpound you boat!

These are classed as absolute offences.
This means there is not get out if you play dumb!

It might be worth visiting the London Boat show if you want an appoved SSB.
I say no more!!

Regards.

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
me thinks you are getting confused with Ham and Marine!!

The RSGB has nothing to do with Marine SSB.
The M802 is a Marine SSB radio not a bit of Ham kit.
The Mafia, as you call it, is Ofcom here.

Regards

trouville

N/A
Visit site
well almost! ofcom is just the administration but the RSGB make all the fuss! Thats why amatures give their call before and after their over very over!!!
Rather than the ofcom every 15 mins.

As the "M" has been given often enough after a telephone call "exam" why not get one just in case

The marine licence is all but a formality for fee!

I personaly would sell the 802 and buy a 706! But marine bands are far more usefull on board and work better better frequencies!! So if he keeps the 802 me could have a chat!! And without call at every over

The shot gun is only ment to be used in UK waters just show it to the customs or coastguard and they wont say a thing about the radio

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
Your post gives the impression that its ok to use a marine set for ham or a ham set for marine.

The RSGB make a fuss about non ham's using the ham allocation and so they should.

Whilst it is possible it is not legal.

If the M802 is made to work for ham it is no longer approved for marine use and a ham set, such as the 706 is not approves for marine use any where in the world by any country.

Whilst in practice we know people do both, as a responsible company we must advise users as to what is correct use under the current laws.

Anyone who has done the marine long range cert would say it is far from a formality!!!

What is this "m" licence/exam you refer to?

Regards

jerryat

Visit site
Well, having used the several different 'Marine' HF sets over the years, we bought the 706 and it's superb, at least as good as any of the marine ones I've used. Ok, it 'only' has 100w output, but has usually out performed the 150w marine ones in our experience. Could be down to our very good installation though!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I DON'T want to open up the "it's illegal to use the marine bands" old chestnut, but as for marine having 'working better frequencies' that can be addressed as we all know! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trouville

N/A
Visit site
"Better" the marine bands are less crowded

The M is the "foundation licence post this as my connection keeps crashing

You use to get this by telephone im told you just have to know the maximum permited power is 10w pep and what SWR is send a check and thats that!

Alternatively you can apply for a full licence in say Nigeria and change it for a British one when it arrives

Connection still going!!
I hope to copper my bottem now that will make an exellent earth? I still wish i had a 706 as it would fit nicely in the limmited space i have imagin my small kenwood 140s looks big !!on a Folkboat!!

coco

Visit site
Jon, can you be a little more specific about the London Boat Show visit. Last time I checked with ICOM Germany, they told me there was new gear in the works which would be CE approved, but much more expensive than the M802. Lately I found a manual for an M810 on their website, and I think this is the product your German colleague was referring too.

I should not care too much, since an M802 is allowed on Swiss flagged yachts, but I have been following this M802 discussion for a while now, and I am just curious!

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
We (all the EU Icom Agents) have been pushing hard for a EU approved SSB radio.

All I can say at this time is visit our stand at the London Boat Show or keep an eye on our website!!

With regard to the "M" licence. this can only be used in the UK on land or only on vessel on in land water ways.
It must not be used on ocean going boats.
So the "M" licence is no good for blue water cruising of any type.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Regards

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
Re: spoiler?

[ QUOTE ]
at these days Paris boat show, Icom stand has a M801E (or M802E, can't remember), anyway it is a hf dsc radio approved for use in the EU

[/ QUOTE ]

I need say no more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards

coco

Visit site

Thanks for the comments Jon.

Will this be another item sporting a very special price tag, because......you know....this is just the EU....and of course the device is so much better than its US variant? LOL

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk

Sorry been away for a few days, yes working!!

There is no price available at this time.
It will be more expensive, that much I know.
Whilst looking like the M802, the head unit has changes.
The main black box is very very different.
New ATU.

Come and find me at the show and I will be more than happy to go though it with any of you.

Regards