Ibiza anchorages - info needed ASAP

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Need some pretty urgent advice on anchorages in Ibiza. All marinas appear to be full and wind is a fairly steady east F2-3. So we need somewhere to stay tomorrow night.

I'll log on later to check but if you have info please be quick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrianm

Visit site
Only ever anchored up in Cala Vedella in Ibiza before. Mind you that was in a 40 footer, I think your monster would just about fit in there. It's sheltered from 3 sides. Likely to be v. busy this time of year though.

PhilF

Visit site
this is not helpful, but a warning to others

Its Summer, everywhere is full, arn't we trained to expect problems and plan for them, especially abroad and away from known cruising areas,

simon

Visit site
Go off the beach at Formentera, you can anchor from outside the port at Sabina right the way along the beach. Easy too go ashore at the port or anchor off one of the beach restaurants and they will come and get you.
On Ibiza East coast try Cala Talamanca just behind Marina Botafoch or the bay at Santa Eulalia. (you may even get in the Marina here, they start a waiting list in the morning and let boats in at about 4pm).
On the West we liked San Miguel, although we did get the tender knicked!

stewart

Visit site
I'm spending the summer at anchor in Ibiza...46' Sunseeker. The best place I've found is just inside the breakwater in Ibiza town, by the entrance to Botafoch. Strictly not allowed by there's alway 20+ boats in there and not had a problem...I'm there now!

Nat

Visit site
Hi Matt
Plenty of room in San Antonio but you will be pestered by pedaloes peering through your portholes,& the holding is not very good. Try Cala Tarida just round the corner but read the pilot book regarding pasage between the two Islands just off San Antonio. We stayed in Cala Tarida for 3 nights exellent holding & half decent restaurant overlooking the bay. One windy night last week it straightened my anchor locking hook but we never moved an inch....Nat

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi Magnum, hows it going? Not surprised that all marinas are full in Ibiza, they were for us last year. Keep begging at St Eulalia as it seems a bit easier there than the Ibiza Town marinas and we got into the port at Formentera w/o probs although its pricey
You can get good shelter from easterlies in Espalmador but its v crowded and the holding is not good. Best to go further south and anchor off the long beach of Illetas. Much more space. Otherwise on the south side of Ibiza there are the calas at Salines and Porroig (this one is v good and not crowded) which offer protection from easterlies. On the west side of Ibiza, there are numerous calas. We anchored in Salada which is v pleasant and has a beach restaurant
On the east side of Ibiza, there are also numerous calas but obviously less protection from easterlies. As already advised, you can anchor inside the new harbour wall in Ibiza Town harbour but, strictly speaking, its illegal and its affected by the wash of passing boats. There are a couple of calas on the north side of the island where protection is also good at Portinaitx and San Miguel but we found they were affected by swell from the North. Worth a visit though as they are beautiful anchorages

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Well we dropped the hook in San Antonio bay just the other side of the green buoys and the holding was totally crap. Dragged twice, then wind dropped and held overnight. Then started dragging badly around 9am, so we left. Overall - a result /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
Guess by now you got a spot somewhere but I'm typing this from Club Nautico Ibiza where we were lucky to get a berth last night (15th) - we're 14 metres long.
IMHO safest all round anchorage on Ibiza is inside Ibiza harbour - as others have advised already. Ignore the 'no achoring signs' and either get off the boat quickly before the maritime police do their regular evening circuit on a pilot launch to tell everyone off - or say you'll move immediately you can and invent an excuse. There is a small ferry each 30 minutes from Marina Botefoch to Ibiza town so it's not a constraint on social life.

When we were asked to move from there a week ago we simply said we'd move just as soon as the skipper arrived back - which for us was the following morning. It's really not an issue - spoke to one French chap close alongside who laid at anchor there for two weeks.

If that does not suit - we've also found San Antonio poor holding. Would suggest the following dependent on wind direction.

Cala Llonga 10 miles north east if winds from north to south west. Crap shoreside but good holding over sand and pretty.
Sala Saona 15 miles away on Formentera if winds from east to south - again sand - and for us the most beaut bay in the whole area.
Good luck.
JOHN