I want to sail the world - where do I start?

Kelpie

Visit site
A easy start for you may be to buy a boat in the Med - spend a season or two learning the ropes in the sun & easy sailing then take off chasing the sunset across the Atlantic when you're ready.

A boat like this Countess 33 looks like it could be great value (no connection to the seller) and the design would happily take you round the world once ready, providing standing rigging / sails / running rigging / engine were all sound.
At the risk of drifting the thread, be aware that from the end of this year we are no longer guaranteed the right to spend unlimited time in Europe. Various scenarios are possible, and various workarounds too, but it's not going to be as easy as we have become used to.

nortada

Visit site
At the risk of drifting the thread, be aware that from the end of this year we are no longer guaranteed the right to spend unlimited time in Europe. Various scenarios are possible, and various workarounds too, but it's not going to be as easy as we have become used to.

Reading other threads on this forum will give a good insight into some of the problems coming down the line.

Visit site
There is an Albin Vega 27 for sale for €10.000 in Martinique. that would do you a season of sailing the caribbean. Haul it out for hurricane season and go back to work in the UK for 6 months, then come back again for the next season.

For Sale on Martinique
10500 Euro in Nov./Dec. 2020
Sadly i have to let go of my beloved Largio. She is an Albin Vega 27 und i lived on her from Feb. 2018 till July 2019, sailed her across the atlantic and travelled with her all throughout the caribbean.

I am selling my sailboat - For Sale on Martinique

Apparently flights can be had from France for €200 if booked early enough.

grumpygit

Visit site
T
There is an Albin Vega 27 for sale for €10.000 in Martinique. that would do you a season of sailing the caribbean. Haul it out for hurricane season and go back to work in the UK for 6 months, then come back again for the next season.

I am selling my sailboat - For Sale on Martinique

Apparently flights can be had from France for €200 if booked early enough.

Excuse me but this is not a site for selling boats but for sharing information and opinions. Please do not be an opportunist with the good folk on this site.
There are all ready too many using this forum for self gain or appreciation?

Visit site
Don't be daft. This isn't my boat. In fact it's nothing to do with me at all. I don't even like monohulls. I commented before helping the OP (see my long post a page or so back), and also mentioned that boats are cheaper in the Caribbean as did some others. This was posted as an example of what one can get on budget, in a decent place to go cruising in.

It's a cheap boat that the OP could buy and have say £15,000-£20,000 left after travel and any upgrades.

Kelpie

Visit site
Vegas are great little boats. That particular one doesn't seem like great value though. Six years ago I sold mine for less than that, and she had new rigging, boom, sails, and a recently replaced inboard.

Mr Grumpygit seems to have chosen his user name quite well :D :D :D

Visit site
I can understand what Grumpy Git is saying. Don't go using the thread to promote your own items. Fair enough. In this instance, we're trying to help the OP just to see what is out there.

I think the title of the link I posted (which I had no control over) probably made him think it was my boat.

grumpygit

Visit site
Vegas are great little boats. That particular one doesn't seem like great value though. Six years ago I sold mine for less than that, and she had new rigging, boom, sails, and a recently replaced inboard.

Mr Grumpygit seems to have chosen his user name quite well :D :D :D

Of course and I wear it as a badge of honour. :D:D;)

grumpygit

Visit site
Don't be daft. This isn't my boat. In fact it's nothing to do with me at all. I don't even like monohulls. I commented before helping the OP (see my long post a page or so back), and also mentioned that boats are cheaper in the Caribbean as did some others. This was posted as an example of what one can get on budget, in a decent place to go cruising in.

It's a cheap boat that the OP could buy and have say £15,000-£20,000 left after travel and any upgrades.

Sorry Mike for any confusion but apart from anything else I thought crazyguy has decided to take the dinghy route, which I tend to agree with along with others as a sensible option. I fear his funds could quickly diminish as he has no way of an income to support him.

crazyguy40

Visit site
Just do it.
We did and loved it.

I will definitely have a read of your book, but from what I understand of your situation you had some experience of sailing when you started this. I am in a completely different situation with zero experience (apart from living on a river boat 20 years ago!). Realistically I don't think I will be able to get a boat in the water before next spring. I will buy a dinghy at the end of the month and try and sail as much as I can. I have all the time in the world, as I have no job and will be living in my camper by the side of the road.

crazyguy40

Visit site
I thought crazyguy has decided to take the dinghy route, which I tend to agree with along with others as a sensible option. I fear his funds could quickly diminish as he has no way of an income to support him.

Yes I am going the dinghy route and will try and sail the dinghy as much as possible while I live in my camper. As for funds diminishing, I am not too worried about that once on the water. 30k is my budget and once it's gone I will quit sailing and sell the boat for what I can get for it. Not even bothered about what price I get for the boat or even if the boat has to be scrapped at some point (as long as it's not at the start of my trip!). By giving up my rental house, I am already saving nearly 15k a year in rent. If I run out of money it's no big deal, I will just move back into my camper and live on the side of the road. At least I would have achieved a dream.

nortada

Visit site
Sorry Mike for any confusion but apart from anything else I thought crazyguy has decided to take the dinghy route, which I tend to agree with along with others as a sensible option. I fear his funds could quickly diminish as he has no way of an income to support him.

I have exchanged a number of frank (and I hope useful) PMs with the OP.

I am more than happy, should he wish it, he can disclose all of my thoughts here in open forum.

As he is contemplating, such a huge change, among other things, I urged him to take a long reality check.

From bitter experience, many years ago, I got involved in an ill-thought through plan, involving a boat.

Result, it involved 2 years of legal advice, with expenses; I lost all of my money, I got into debt, and I never got ownership of the boat. A searing experience I would not wish on anybody but it was an object lesson for me.

Fortunately, I was young enough to recover and returned to boatownership 10 years later, sadder and wiser.

crazyguy40

Visit site
it involved 2 years of legal advice, with expenses; I lost all of my money, got into debt, and never got ownership of the boat. A searing experience I would not wish on anybody but it was a object lesson for me.

It sounds like you were conned, which must have been terrible. If that happens to me, it would mean the end of any hopes of a trip. But thankfully I don't have much to loose. Even if I loose all of my 30k in savings tomorrow, it makes no difference to my day to day life - it just means I cannot fulfil my sailing dream. Whatever happens, I will be living in a camper by the side of the road. If I owned a house and had a family / other commitments, you could argue I may have a lot to loose. But for someone in my situation, life continues as normal. I have zero responsibilities, no mortgage, credit cards, car loans etc.

grumpygit

Visit site
Yes I am going the dinghy route and will try and sail the dinghy as much as possible while I live in my camper. As for funds diminishing, I am not too worried about that once on the water. 30k is my budget and once it's gone I will quit sailing and sell the boat for what I can get for it. Not even bothered about what price I get for the boat or even if the boat has to be scrapped at some point (as long as it's not at the start of my trip!). By giving up my rental house, I am already saving nearly 15k a year in rent. If I run out of money it's no big deal, I will just move back into my camper and live on the side of the road. At least I would have achieved a dream.

Wow, there's some bold statements. Hopefully you will not quit and get the sailing bug then progress onward to achieve your dream.

Kelpie

Visit site
You could learn a fair bit about 12v electrical systems on your camper... directly relevant to setting up and maintaining a boat.
Another thought- how much can your camper tow? You might be able to get a micro cruiser instead of a dinghy- basically a dinghy with a lid- would open up some more options for you.

crazyguy40

Visit site
You could learn a fair bit about 12v electrical systems on your camper... directly relevant to setting up and maintaining a boat.

I am pretty proficient with 12v systems anyway. I have always maintained my own vehicles and done a few mechanical restoration projects over the years. I also did a degree in mechanical engineering and am pretty good at fixing anything mechanical. I have rebuilt many an engine, gearbox etc. When I say my DIY skills are basic, I mean I have no experience of carpentry, house maintenance, and have not the faintest idea about repairing a boat hull's etc. Also my welding skills are pretty rubbish. My welds hold, but they certainly don't look pretty!

Kelpie

Visit site
I am pretty proficient with 12v systems anyway. I have always maintained my own vehicles and done a few mechanical restoration projects over the years. I also did a degree in mechanical engineering and am pretty good at fixing anything mechanical. I have rebuilt many an engine, gearbox etc. When I say my DIY skills are basic, I mean I have no experience of carpentry, house maintenance, and have not the faintest idea about repairing a boat hull's etc. Also my welding skills are pretty rubbish. My welds hold, but they certainly don't look pretty!

Sounds like you've got a very good start on the skills you'll need. Fibreglass isn't hard to work with. It can be a bit tricky to get it looking pretty but basic structural stuff is simply a case of following the instructions.

By the way my suggestion of a micro-cruiser would be something along the lines of this: Micro Gem 550 for sale UK, Micro boats for sale, Micro used boat sales, Micro Sailing Yachts For Sale MICRO GEM 18FT CRUSIER RACER LIFT KEEL - Apollo Duck
(And before Grumpygit shouts at me, no I have absolutely no connection whatsoever to that boat, just found it in a 2 minute search online).
Still light enough to tow behind your camper, but self-righting and it would allow you to start cruising straight away, spending a few nights aboard. A dinghy would be a bit cheaper and a bit lighter, so easier to launch/recover etc, but I get the impression you're going to want to actually get a taste of the cruising lifestyle sooner rather than later.

grumpygit

Visit site
Sounds like you've got a very good start on the skills you'll need. Fibreglass isn't hard to work with. It can be a bit tricky to get it looking pretty but basic structural stuff is simply a case of following the instructions.

By the way my suggestion of a micro-cruiser would be something along the lines of this: Micro Gem 550 for sale UK, Micro boats for sale, Micro used boat sales, Micro Sailing Yachts For Sale MICRO GEM 18FT CRUSIER RACER LIFT KEEL - Apollo Duck
(And before Grumpygit shouts at me, no I have absolutely no connection whatsoever to that boat, just found it in a 2 minute search online).
Still light enough to tow behind your camper, but self-righting and it would allow you to start cruising straight away, spending a few nights aboard. A dinghy would be a bit cheaper and a bit lighter, so easier to launch/recover etc, but I get the impression you're going to want to actually get a taste of the cruising lifestyle sooner rather than later.

An ideal little starter boat and probably a gift for the money especially if you can get a few quid extra knocked off . . . . . Are you sure Kelpie:unsure: ?