I need help!!!

G

I am 17 this year and I'am going into sixth form but would like to going sailing in the hoildays. I'm Uncle said I need to make contact with people who are looking for crew members and I dont know where to look?

I have sailed ones with my Uncle only last week and enjoyed it so much and would like to continue learning. I've learnt alot from my Uncle by watching and learning and I learnt it fast as I'm eager to learn more but as it was a weekend trip from Gillingham to Crouch river.

I hope someone can help!!!

Alex Norris

claymore

Visit site
The Youth of Today

Alex
No doubt your 6th form course starts on Monday and here we are trying to sort out what you are doing in your holidays.
Perhaps we should focus on our course and get some work done then post this again in early October - assuming you are talking about half term being the first opportunity you will have of taking a few days off?
Most of the Scuttlebutt contributors are very old and their memories are no longer that good (myself excluded of course) so they won't remember anything arranged now!
Seriously you should be able to hitch a ride with someone - are you a member of a sailing club?
Wrong end of the country for me and having been off all summer I have no time left now
good luck

regards
Claymore

JeremyF

Visit site
Start with dingies, and have some fun, thrills and spills. Join the local dinghy sailing club.

If its yachting you want, you could put your details on sailcrew.co.uk, but I guess you might get trapped in the experience conundrum.

So, another reason to start with dingies - fun, build sailing experience and loads of folk the same age as you.

Jeremy Flynn

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Why can't you get another trip or two with your uncle to build up experience? Also do the Level 1 dinghy course which lasts a weekend. You need some experience or skill to offer before most skippers will take a stranger onto their yacht. Are you a good cook? Are you mechanically minded?

You probably won't have the time to take evening classes in navigation. But make the time to buy and work through Gerry Smith's "Coastal Navigation".

BigLes

Visit site
You can always post an advert on the noticeboard of your local sailing club(s). We often get younger members looking for experience in either dinghies or cruisers, and fellow club members are usually willing to 'bring on' younger members.

Forbsie

Visit site
If you are based near Burnham-on-Crouch, phone up the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club. I can't remember who is doing it but ask Barbara in the office for the name of the person that co-ordinates crews. She (Mandy?) will call you mid-week offering crew positions for the weekend.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie>My Project Pics</A>