I couldn't believe my eyes!

Halcyon Yachts

I was on a boat yesterday afternoon, just approaching Dartmouth. Some huge splashes came into view - I wasn't sure at first what I was looking at!

A bit wobbly, I was on full zoom.

So what type do we think it is?

Pete

TiggerToo

I would have said a Minke whale. It would fit with sightings in the area, however I read here that "Minke Whales do not fluke"...(http://wildwhales.org/minke-whale/) so it was something else, or a Minke which had not read the manual

Plevier

Sailed (well, motored; head wind all the way from Portland) past there into Dartmouth at 05.30 yesterday but didn't see it!

Ripster

That is our regular sailing area so will keep a sharp look out, What is the correct nautical phrase for spotting a whale?

Davy_S

Can I hazard a guess at a Sperm whale, we have a few in the Ionian that seem to behave like that, the ferry hit one a few years ago and killed it.

KellysEye

We were sailing in the Canaries and a whale came in from our port side and turned to follow us quite close. It was awesome to watch.

Kelpie

Unlikely to be a Minke, they don't do that. How about a Humpback? Have been a few around up here of late.

Almost certainly a Humpback. Not resident but often seen round the UK . ( once saw one off the pier at Fort William )
Lucky to have bounced back after the Soviets undereported their Humpback catch up to 1986 by a staggering factor of 18.
Google "Soviet Whaling " for the environmental crime of the century.