I.C.C.

duncan

Visit site
suggest you read through the sylabus over a couple of weeks before just taking the test - theory and practive required.

I had recently done Day Skipper theory when I took mine which helped a lot in enabling me to understand what they were actually getting at in the questions!

Like many things who you have examining you will be significant to your enjoyment of the experience!

G

I took it 2 or 3 years ago. If you have 20 years experience then you should have no difficulty. I found that it was enough to swot up on the CEVNI regulations the night before. Other things are generally common sense, though it helps to remind yourself of RYA recommendations of good practise eg. how many flares a yacht should carry offshore etc. Hopefully you already have an idea of MOB procedures. Generally I would say it was a very pleasant and stress-free morning messing about on the water and answering mostly common sense questions.

VicMallows

Visit site
Assume you need to take the ICC for foreign Inland Waterways? It's a pity you didn't 'grandfather' it under the old regs, but a bit late to worry about that now. Many local clubs have someone certified to do the test and often they charge a nominal fee. If it's only the CEVNI bit you need, this is a dead-simple multichoice which anyone competent to sail a yacht should pass after reading a book.

Vic

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
How deep did they push in the questions they asked you, this is something I am going to have to get hold of soon. I don't mind swotting, but how much is the big question?

Howardnp

Visit site
As Bluedragon said, if you've got RYA qualifications you may be exempt. If you have and you are exempt then look at joining the RYA first then applying as it is then issued free to RYA members. Cost of joining is, I believe , cheaper than just getting the ICC issued.

A

Anonymous

Surely the issue is "What do you show the officials abroad if you are involved in an incident?". I'd sooner have an ICC than a DS or YM and suggest that any RYA member holding the exemption quals gets an ICC before going foreign - after all the cost is nothing (or very little) and the only hassle is in filling in a form and providing a photo.

G

I didn't swot at all, except for reading the CEVNI regs carefully the night before, and had no problems. The questions that i was given were all common sense ones that, asuming one's sailed around a bit, should be reasonably obvious. The only qu. I was asked that wasn't was common sense was about the number and types of flares one should carry, luckily I happened to remember the recommendation, but wouldn't have failed the exam if I hadn't. Laying a course on a chart is another topic covered. Basic practical demonstration of manouevering, berthing and MOB drill, taking a boat out for a couple of hours to show you know how to sail it, basic rules of the road, that sort of thing.

They're generally doing their best to pass you provided you don't seem too dangerous. The whole thing took a very pleasant morning of messing about, half on the water, the other half drinking coffee and answering qu.s.

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
I'm the ICC tester for my club and can confirm that the advice offered by the other forumites is good. We are looking for awareness of the situation, understanding and application of the ColRegs and basic boat handling, pilotage and navigation skills. Safety is the biggest issue. The tester will not look for the small-print stuff, and is aware that you are likely to be a bit nervous and may not get a manoeuvre right the first time. It should be an enjoyable and helpful few hours once the "butterflies" have worn off.

Just one point that may be confusing from the other posts. You don't have to do the CEVNI test ( a short multiple-choice test) as part of the basic ICC test. It is an extra for those planning to go on European inland waterways that can be added subsequently to your ICC if you prefer.