Hurth HBW15 RV Oil leak.

celandine

Visit site
I have an irritating oil leak (ATF) on my Hurth 15 RV gearbox. I have not yet managed to see where it is leaking from, but presumably it is from one of the input/output seals. Has anyone experience or advice on tackling this job? It is the version with the extension for the V. drive attached. Thanks.

earlybird

Visit site
A Hurth HBW50 of mine developed an irritating ATF leak from the input shaft seal. Replacement of the seal was straightforward once the 'box was separated from the flywheel housing.

celandine

Visit site
A Hurth HBW50 of mine developed an irritating ATF leak from the input shaft seal. Replacement of the seal was straightforward once the 'box was separated from the flywheel housing.

Thanks for that. Was it a simple matter of re-inserting the gearbox spline when putting it back together?

earlybird

Visit site
Yes, engine was a Beta. The gearbox was bolted to the fly-wheel cover, which had to be separated from the engine to access the bolts, so a fair bit of work. The splined input shaft slid out of the drive plate on the flywheel. The oil-seal was under a retaining plate held by 4(?) small set-bolts, no further dismantling was needed.