Hugo Boss

creeks

Visit site
Hugo Boss in the Solent today. Not enough wind for foiling unfortunately. Sorry I have no camera skills:(

36602CC9-C843-4387-8EC0-FBF58D13325D.jpg

Last edited:

TLouth7

Visit site
We have the first official video of her sailing, and a couple of very short shots from the interior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evyi6Yy8C1w

Edit: check out the amount of hardware at the top of the foil cases at 0:15,

and how the rudder hinges up with its end-plate at 0:22,

also she's fully foiling with just the main and smallest staysail.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It explains a lot. Basically the cockpit is enclosed, and built around a coffee grinder which is clutched to each of four drums, with several cameras each of which has its own screen.

The ergonomics of the space look, with respect, awful.

So there is a tiller then. Early speculation was that it was autopilot only.

Amazing how little fresh water he carries. The water maker must be very reliable.

Tomahawk

Visit site
What I never understand is why the coffee grinders are hand powered?
Far better to design the coffee grinder about bicycle peddles and use leg power ... also leaves hands free to trim as the legs provide power.

Though I think team NZ were using cycle type grinders on the latest AC. Oddly enough they seemed to win.

TLouth7

Visit site
I think team NZ were using cycle type grinders on the latest AC. Oddly enough they seemed to win.
Because of the way the AC rule was written the teams required a lot of power to trim the foils. They basically had 3? people just providing energy, and team NZ decided legs were the best way to do that. In contrast Alex will be on his own, so being able to quickly move from the grinder to the winches, to the clutches, to the nav screens is move important. Also he is not racing around a short course so has less need for fast manoeuvres that require raw power.

That said, the big innovation in this generation of IMOCA is that they can adjust the foils in an extra degree of freedom. This will give greater speeds (and something closer to true flying) but presumably will require a fair bit of trimming. I will be interested to see how they have mitigated this extra load on the skippers.

Iain C

Visit site
What I never understand is why the coffee grinders are hand powered?
Far better to design the coffee grinder about bicycle peddles and use leg power ... also leaves hands free to trim as the legs provide power.

Though I think team NZ were using cycle type grinders on the latest AC. Oddly enough they seemed to win.

I suspect it's convenience. All the TNZ cyclors did was sit on their "bikes" and provide watts. They were dressed accordingly, looking just like cyclists.

An open 60 skipper will probably often be tweaking, a bit of a grind here and there. He/she will also most likely be wearing hi-fits and boots (but less up top unless it's very cold), pretty much 24/7 (although I guess Alex may well be the exception here with his enclosed cockpit). The monumental faff of having to get on a bike wearing hi-fits and boots, give a few turns and then get off again (now with warm sweaty legs) will probably negate any performance benefit IMHO during the actual grind. Also, using a pedestal at large angles of heel is fine, but trying to sit on a bike frame that's heeling without actually going round a corner would also be very tricky indeed. I know one of the French solo RTW sailors had a "bike" grinder...but that was also on a multihull.

Spyro

Visit site
The "cyclists" on the New Zealand team provided power to the hydraulic system where as the coffee grinder that Alex would use would provide direct drive to the winches so in theory he could be pumping up the pressure when he's not to busy. So jumping on and off a cycle in all his gear wouldn't be an issue. It needed 3 or 4 guys continually cycling to do that so I don't really seeing it working for him

Seven Spades

Visit site
Correction...Vendee Globe just shared MY picture with their watermark on their facebook account! :-(

And yes I did ask ATR if I could have a look and take pics...crack on, all public domain now they said.

No such thing as "public domain" in law. You own the copyright.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
My shot of Hugo Boss has made the shortlist for the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Photographer 2019.

If you’d like to vote for me, I would be much obliged :0)

https://www.yachtracingimage.com/gallery/2019/vende-globe-2020.html

When I was onboard her we reached 32.9 knots. She’s quite a boat :D

What a fantastic experience for you being onboard. If it was me, I think I would need to bring extra pairs of Y Fronts.

Great pic by the way.

Just wondering how much leeway the boat makes when "Foiling" .

Last edited:

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
What a fantastic experience for you being onboard. If it was me, I think I would need to bring extra pairs of Y Fronts.

Great pic by the way.

Just wondering how much leeway the boat makes when "Foiling" .

Thank you.

It was an amazing, exciting, and very wet day. The way I’ve been describing the the ride is like sitting in the back of a pickup truck, bombing down a bumpy track, passing under waterfalls.

Leeway is difficult because the apparent wind is so high, also they are optimised for off the wind performance they expect only 6% of the race to be upwind so they can route around it or take a hit because she’ll be quicker the other 94% of the time. The canting keel has its bearings offset vertically so that too provides lift.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site