Hugo Boss

Bobc

Visit site
Like it or loath it, you cannot deny that it's a work of engineering excellence.

Some people say that F1 cars are ugly, but they're bloody quick.

bbg

Visit site
They use them as hydrogenerators for power, having two gives redundancy. Presumably given their 0 fossil fuels aim it has electric drive and no conventional generator.

I'd love to see the interior/cockpit and foils but I imagine they are keeping them thoroughly under wraps. Interesting that this time they can move the foils in two axes, sounds like a lot more work for the skippers (and designers).

Where exactly are these two propellors / generators? I only see one for the engine (folded) at 1:00. I don't see any hydro generators.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Like it or loath it, you cannot deny that it's a work of engineering excellence.

That'll depend on how it performs. Team Philips looked like a work of engineering excellence too ...

Some people say that F1 cars are ugly, but they're bloody quick.

They could be a lot quicker, though. There are lots of restrictions to make things more competitive and to stop drivers getting killed as much as they used to.

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing
further down the line. Eventually that is.

I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .

Personally, I love watching the wind and kite surfers .

dunedin

Visit site
That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing further down the line. Eventually that is.

I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .

Lots of benefits have and are still filtering down rapidly to cruisers, including
- autopilots able to handle all conditions, often better than a human helm
- faster and drama free downwind sailing with wider sterns and twin rudders - unlike the old IOR copies which were awful downwind
- better sail handling systems
- low stretch ropes, soft shackles etc etc
Even foils could filter through, not perhaps the full flight ones but to reduce heeling?
-

Last edited:

bbg

Visit site
That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing
further down the line. Eventually that is.

Personally, I love watching the wind and kite surfers .

Look at the old photos of the J Class boats. I think the gap between a typical boater and the J Boats was pretty wide then.

dunedin

Visit site
Look at the old photos of the J Class boats. I think the gap between a typical boater and the J Boats was pretty wide then.

Though the deep narrow boats with very long bow and stern overhangs, like the J Classes and the Metre classes, were driven by race rating rules - which led to some seeing these as good “classic” characteristics in subsequent cruising yachts, even though cruising and working boats prior to that had more practical plumb bows, and often sterns. (Ironic that the plumb bow with sprit, fashionable in modern race and cruising boats, is seen as not “classic” when it is in fact more traditional.)

alex_m24

Visit site
I think it looks fantastic.

Question though, it may be very obvious from the video(i cant stream videos where i am currently located) but where are the foils? Are they fully retracted on this boat or just not installed yet?

bbg

Visit site
I think it looks fantastic.

Question though, it may be very obvious from the video(i cant stream videos where i am currently located) but where are the foils? Are they fully retracted on this boat or just not installed yet?

To me it looks like they are not installed. I saw the holes where they will be installed. Just in front of the large "S" at 0:48.

Giblets

Visit site
She looks great. I will look forward to getting a few piccies of her going through Pompy Harbour entrance. :encouragement:

Milestone

Visit site
I read that due to the new design, The foils haven't been fitted yet, so as not to give it away to the other competitors yet! I can't wait to see how it performs on the water.

Bobc

Visit site
I suppose that a companion hatch will be fitted. The boat looks to be set up to scoop the bow wave into the cabin.

A watertight lockable door I suspect.

The cockpit will be self-draining, I assume through that big hole in the middle at the back.

TLouth7

Visit site
A watertight lockable door I suspect.

The cockpit will be self-draining, I assume through that big hole in the middle at the back.

The "hole in... the back" is an escape hatch for getting out when inverted, via a crawl space under the aft deck. It's a feature of lots of offshore designs, including all the IMOCAs, Mini 6.50s etc.

Presumably the cockpit area under the pink coachroof will have lots of bits of string in it so would be quite hard to seal, I would guess there is a proper watertight door forward of that.

Did I spy a tiller at 0:39 in Minn's video?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The "hole in... the back" is an escape hatch for getting out when inverted, via a crawl space under the aft deck. It's a feature of lots of offshore designs, including all the IMOCAs, Mini 6.50s etc.

Presumably the cockpit area under the pink coachroof will have lots of bits of string in it so would be quite hard to seal, I would guess there is a proper watertight door forward of that.

Did I spy a tiller at 0:39 in Minn's video?

Spyro

Visit site
maybe it's all steered from inside hence no proper cockpit and no protection from the waves that will be washing down the decks at 30 knots. It sure looks slippery.