How toxic is antifouling and what are the long term effects?

ds797

Visit site
I keep reading posts on here about toxicity of anti fouling and how proper PPE is essential. This is great information and has been around for quite some time now.

But I was just wondering, how worried should I be? I remember anti fouling in the 1990s and not using PPE, just "old clothes". Now I can't remember if we dry sanded or not. But I do remember using a scraper to scrape back to bare GRP, and using brushes and rollers to paint.

Should I be worried? What effects would likely show long term from exposure like this?

Martin_J

Visit site
Apart from the ingredients that are known to be toxic, most antifouling contains Colophony (Rosin) which it turns out I'm rather allergic to now.

Is it because I got too much blue antifouling on me in my youth..? maybe.. I'll never know.

It's the only thing I know I'm allergic to (and I found out only after I reacted badly to some halloween makeup a couple of years ago that contained rosin).

Ah.. On further thoughts, rosin is often in the glue within chipboard (and my arms never liked the sawdust from cutting chipboard)... and those cheap plastic shoes, horrible feel and turns out their plastic can contain rosin.

But does my body reject it now because of getting too much blue antifouling on my arms when younger?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I dont know any figures, but you would have to have the occupational exposure limit, or work place exposure limit, as it is now called, for the product or products that you used. Then recall the number of times you used and the duration, to estimate your level of exposure and compare that with the WELS. There can also be other time limits, such as total continual exposure at one event, and accumulated exposer. Some stuff gets moved out the body over time, some accumulates and never leaves.

Martin_J

Visit site
I don't have any post-halloween photos to hand but the skin on my nose and chin was leaking horrible stuff for the best part of a week..

A quick search on the Internet comes up with images like this...

Screenshot_20221218-181246_Samsung Internet.jpg

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
This paper discusses what you are interested in but for commercial users of antifouling: -

Occupational Exposure During Application and Removal of Antifouling Paints

The exposure data from the present study compare relatively well to other publicly available data for the rolling scenario, not so much for the spraying scenario. The nominal inhalation exposure levels of copper for the sprayers are quite high, and to a lesser extent for the sand blaster and the fillers, in comparison with the Occupational Exposure Level of 1 mg m−3 for an 8 h reference period for copper. For dichlofluanid such a comparison is not possible. Little data are available on secondary exposure loading.

The present study shows that the exposure loading should be considered more extensively, including applicable protective gear. In this light the findings for the potmen during sand blasting suggest that personal protective equipment should be (re)considered carefully. The results of the study seem fairly consistent and can be used for risk assessment purposes. The data will be used for validation of the BEAT dermal model (TNsG, 2002) and added to the BEAT database. Results will be published elsewhere.

There is a reason why they make the recommendations on the COSHH / Safety Data Sheets, it's not just about protecting the company / seller of the product, its about protecting the user.

srm

Visit site
Many years ago my ex went to check our boat. She tapped a wedge in that appeared loose on one of the props. Got a small speck of old antifoul in her eye. Within about half an hour the area around the eye had swollen and she could not see with it. She went straight to the hospital and they needed a magnifying glass to find and remove the speck of antifouling. Fortunately, no long term damage, but obviously it still had some nasty components despite having dried out. If I remember correctly it was a blue antifouling.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I keep reading posts on here about toxicity of anti fouling and how proper PPE is essential. This is great information and has been around for quite some time now.

But I was just wondering, how worried should I be? I remember anti fouling in the 1990s and not using PPE, just "old clothes". Now I can't remember if we dry sanded or not. But I do remember using a scraper to scrape back to bare GRP, and using brushes and rollers to paint.

Should I be worried? What effects would likely show long term from exposure like this?

On a forum you are going to get a lot of "wave the bloody shirt" responses.

Search OSHA and other government agency studies and you will get real information. Yes, if you breath a lot or get a lot on your skin on a regular basis there are provable hazards. For the DIY that does this every 1-2 years, with some level of repiratory and skin protection, not so much.

The fresh paint has solvents you shouldn't breath but no carcenogens. Work from down wind up, wear a solvent respirator that fits (if you can smell the paint it is either the wrong type, the cartridge is spent, or there is a gap in the fit (very common)), and wear long sleeves, gloves, and glasses. Easy.

The resin in the pain dust is old, oxidized, and not much more than dust (which is not good, of course) at this point. 80% the copper is gone (studies). Also, though copper is acutely and cronically toxic to marine life, it is not nearly as toxic to people and is not a carcinogen. Think about chocolate and dogs.

Certainly you should protect yourself, but you aren't a barnacle.

ds797

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Thats reassuring! I do use proper PPE now, but was worried about previous exposure from other posts on this forum....

Thanks for your help :)

Stemar

Visit site
Definitely do it right now, but it's too late to worry about past exposure What will happen (almost certainly nothing) will happen, so there's no point in worrying about it.

Current exposure to scary threads on yottie forums is far more dangerous to the health, but a large pinch of salt will be a good antidote.

Neeves

Visit site
And ignore comments on colour of paint - all the active ingredients are the same (except maybe white AF paint, which is not actually white). So red, blue, black, green etc have the same levels of biocide, copper etc etc.

Jonathan

Halo

Visit site
“Work from down wind up, wear a solvent respirator that fits (if you can smell the paint it is either the wrong type, the cartridge is spent, or there is a gap in the fit (very common)), and wear long”
Wrong. Please work from upwind down NOT down wind up !

Slowboat35

Visit site
“Work from down wind up, wear a solvent respirator that fits (if you can smell the paint it is either the wrong type, the cartridge is spent, or there is a gap in the fit (very common)), and wear long”
Wrong. Please work from upwind down NOT down wind up !
Errrm...I think that was right the first time.
Work upwind into fresh air, leave the work downwind and behind you.

Keith 66

Visit site
What you have to watch is the old TBT stuff, a mate of mine spent two days in hospital after burning some off his wooden boat years ago. That was real nasty stuff, still plenty of it on old grp boats underneath all the newer stuff.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
I agree with Halo. Wear a solvent respirator or FFP 3. I now use proper eye protection, gloves and disposable overalls. I reckon chemical splashes in the eyes are as good as injection of the stuff.

arcot

Visit site
What you have to watch is the old TBT stuff, a mate of mine spent two days in hospital after burning some off his wooden boat years ago. That was real nasty stuff, still plenty of it on old grp boats underneath all the newer stuff.
Heavy metal

tin

harvey38

Visit site
In the mid 90s I removed the antifouling from our 23ft mobo. Sanded a lot off, then used Dilunet (sp), scraped a load off then wiped down with literally gallons of acetone in preparation for Coppercoat.

I was short of breath and suffered waves of nausea for weeks after, not to mention skin burns galore. I was in my thirties at the time and blissfully ignorant to H&S issues but thankfully no long term issues but I later became asthmatic, coincidence? Who knows.

Keith 66

Visit site
In the mid 90s I removed the antifouling from our 23ft mobo. Sanded a lot off, then used Dilunet (sp), scraped a load off then wiped down with literally gallons of acetone in preparation for Coppercoat.
I was short of breath and suffered waves of nausea for weeks after, not to mention skin burns galore. I was in my thirties at the time and blissfully ignorant to H&S issues but thankfully no long term issues but I later became asthmatic, coincidence? Who knows.

Sounds like you got a heavy exposure, You may get away with it or it may yet bite you in the ass.
Interesting paper here on TBT & its toxicity, https://www.healthandenvironment.org/docs/ToxipediaTributylTinArchive.pdf ,

Similar health issues are often found in agricultural industry due to exposure to insecticides & herbicides.

Friend of mine is a farmer, In his youth he was a strong rugby player but did a lot of contract sheep dipping in his 30's & 40's.
He then developed severe asthma & has been in & out of hospital for years with it. His Doctors now have it under control but the damage is done.