How to remove old glue

G

I am removing the headlining of my Centaur. The previous owner had re-attached it a few years ago using something like Bostik. I have to remove all traces of this before the new headlining is fitted. At the moment I am rubbing it off with my fingers - slow and painful. Anyone know a better method? The glue is tacky and gums up sandpaper instantly.

Thanks

jfkal

Visit site
There is stuff at the shelves of DIY shops called goo-away. Works quite well for the problem you describe. Acetone could work as well (CAUTION HIGLY FLAMMABLE and ATTACKS your LIVER.Work well ventilated)

coliholic

Visit site
If it is a Bostik or Evostik type contact adhesive, perhaps not the most safe way of doing it, but a petrol soaked rag will make it go all soft gooey than you can wipe it off and do again and again and in the end it'll all come off. Of course petrol fume's are not the best substance to be breathing in, in a confined space and it might be best not to smoke whilst you're doing it. Oh and make sure the bilge blowers running before you start

G

I had the same problem when renewing the headlining on my westerly 30, bostik also make a tin of thinners for their product, it is very heady stuff, so dont smoke and well ventilate when using. I applied it on a cotton cloth(old Vest Type) it will remove all residue.

By the way I relined using Corded carpet and spray impact adhesive excellent holding properties and it loogs good. Give me a shout on my email if you need to no more. Good luck

Mor Righ Westerly 30

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
You could use paraffin (kerosene, the stuff that is put in oil lamps) and this will soften the remaining glue, if that's what you want. Do however be very careful when wiping because there may well be needle-sharp bits of glass fibres standing proud of the surface. When I did the headlining on CYANO (CR1279) I just left the old glue in place. My carpeting went on three panels of 3mm plywood that I screwed to wooden battens attached to the deckhead. The two at the side overlap the one in the middle and this latter also bridges the depression just inside of the hatch opening. I had already tried this approach on a previous boat and the advantages are many, including pre-fabrication at home, ease of erection into place, added insulation of coachroof, space for the passage of wires, etc.
Best wishes!

Wally

G

Thanks for all the Help

Thanks All for the helpful advice. I am sure one of the approaches will fit the bill. Off to the boatyard now....

Happy New Year and Good Sailing in the New Season,

Winston