How to remove name glue from dinghy?

NickNap

Visit site
The old name on my inflatable partly disintegrated, so I peeled it off and will get a new one.
What's the best way to remove the glue residue without damaging the vinyl surface? I'm guessing the usual glue remover might damage it?

dmayes

www.drmsom.com
You may find that the sun has bleached the faric not covered by the letters. If you remove all the glue you may find the name is still visible. On GRP, petrol is a good glue remover as it evaporates quickly and seems to dissolve most glues that are used for lettering. However you must be careful it does not affect the fabric, do you have anywhere that you can test first, my old inflatable had some fabric that was stuck to the wooden transom and was not part of the tubes. If it melts or softens that do not use on the tubes.

VicMallows

Visit site
Try "Sticky Stuff Remover" Ours was bought from our local door to door Kleeneze distributor

Vic, never thought I'd hear you suggesting a product without knowing it's analysis!

My suggestion would be a wipe with MEK (Butanone, also known as methyl ethyl ketone). Just keep it away from any seems if you have a glued dingy though....only thing I know of for separating them.

Vic (M)

VicS

Visit site
What's the best way to remove the glue residue without damaging the vinyl surface?
This implies that the dinghy is PVC rather than Hypalon ??

If so the use of MEK ( Butanone) cannot be recommended. Like wise acetone or any other ketone . White spirit should be Ok
( I do not know what you mean by "the usual glue remover"

Gentle heat will no doubt soften the adhesive. It might have enabled the old name to have been peeled off more cleanly but may not help much now. Take care not to over heat the fabric ... I do not know at what temperature it might start to de-laminate !!

Last edited:

NickNap

Visit site
Petrol - after extensive testing on a non-essential section of fabric - and careful scraping with a knife.
Strangely, after what must be about 10 years, there's almost no marking or difference in colour with surrounding area after I'd given the whole dinghy a good clean with Starbrite inflatable cleaner.

BTW have also ordered sticky stuff remover as recommended by VicS