How much 'hassle' is it towing a larger boat?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have asked this question several times and got very similar answers. Currently I have a Disco 2 and a Disco 3 and I tow various boats, a 3.4 m Rib a 4.5 m Rib, a 16 foot fletcher, a 17 foot Fletcher and a 19 foot Fletcher and I also have a 24.5 foot Sealine S24 which I was hoping to tow but I have sort of chickened out. With the 19 footer it is fine once on the road but so many slipways are down little roads that are difficult to access. I regularly take the 17 foot Fletcher to Brixham and launch on the slip there. Lovely slip but access is not good and on Brixfest weekend it is interesting.

As I travel about in the summer which I do quite a lot I look for 24 foot size boats being towed and I see very few (almost none) and this sort of answered the questions for me. Cars like the Disco will easily pull such a boat but it is the stress associated with it that puts me off. Even if you maintain your trailer well and many don't it is still a constant worry as you go along.

The other thing I would say that up to 17 foot if you get in a muddle you can unhitch and move the boat yourself a little bit. Once you get much bigger than 17 foot this is almost impossible.

The days I move my 19 footer (Fletcher Sportscruiser GTS) from home to mooring I certainly dread and both me and her indoors are quite stressed

For me the max I would like to tow is about 22 foot that extra to 24 odd is quite a lot.

Dennis

This is my 19 footer hitched up on purchase journey home from Wales to Near Ipswich..... Quite a Journey

F-19-Gts-wales.jpg

Last edited:

Swordfish

Visit site
My Bayliner with flybridge is 8.6 metres including swim platform and pulpit, an overall 9.3 m when loaded onto trailer with light board etc. I can just get the weight down to 3500 kgs with an empty boat. So far my towing is 10 miles to launch in the Spring, and return in the Autumn. This year, after the summer season here in Norfolk, my plan is to tow to Lefkada Island, Greece, via the ferry from Venice, possibly a one-way trip. Tow vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My Bayliner with flybridge is 8.6 metres including swim platform and pulpit, an overall 9.3 m when loaded onto trailer with light board etc. I can just get the weight down to 3500 kgs with an empty boat. So far my towing is 10 miles to launch in the Spring, and return in the Autumn. This year, after the summer season here in Norfolk, my plan is to tow to Lefkada Island, Greece, via the ferry from Venice, possibly a one-way trip. Tow vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

That is indeed a bold venture