How much did you buy your boat for, then how much more did you spend?

Sandgrounder

Visit site
£19k purchase. About £9k so far, maybe anothe £5k to go.

She had a factory refurbished engine 5 yrs ago. Decided full nav gear too expensive. had new autopilo, new nstanding rigging ( pricey on a ketch) a; new gas installation and cooker, installed reffing et al in cockpit and on it goes.

Want: - davits; navtes; and cruising chute.

Need to do: - stress cracks around the keel (shipwright saus not urgent);

HereBeDragons

Visit site
About 75k (paid in EUR, and the tax separately), then almost immediately purchased stuff like a decent kedge anchor and chain, a new dinghy outboard, new suite of life jackets, new cockpit speakers, and the most expensive thing, a new plotter (£2200-ish), plus other odd chandlery bits. I guess I spent another £3500 in year 1. Boat was second hand, six years old when I bought her.

Have since done engine bits, new saildrive seal and gearbox coupler, new prop shaft, etc. which came to another £1000-odd (did the labour myself or would have been more than double this), and other odd bits that came to a few hundred.

Am contemplating a new sail suite for this season which will bust the budget, and also contemplating upgrading the ST60 set to the latest version. It never ends.....

C08

Visit site
First sea boat a 26footer cost me £8k in 1991, spent about £3K over 12 years and sold her for £9k. So upgrades £3k +moorings/insurance/fuel £12k + initial purchase £8k= about £23-sale £9 = £14k/12years = about £1200 per year for sailing perhaps 30 weekends per year plus holiodays. Good value in anyones book.
Current boat 8M catamaran cost about £9k with shot rudders in 2003(bereavement sale in Eire value about £15k uk then ). Spent about £20k over 13 years including new engine, 2 foresails, 2 sets headsail reefing, sh furling main gear, new main, 2 anchors, 60m chain, warps, windlass, gas heater, wheelpilot, plotter, radar, wind gen, 2 80w solar panels, ais & instruments, liferaft, new steering gear, furnishings and bowthruster. Moorings, insurance, fuel, holiday marina fees etc. about £16k. Current value about £17k. So cost £9k+upgrades £20k+ running costs £16k = £45k-resale £17K = £28k/14 years about £2K per year. For lots of fun and treasured memories of sailing with my wife, daughter and dogs. Priceless.
If you just look at the figures (cost £29k current value £17k - it does not make sense but I was looking at a car recently with a new cost of £27k it depreciated down to £13k in one year, now that really does not make sense.