How many outboards do you need in your tender?

Neeves

Visit site
Anybody with that many engines would be under close scrutiny of the customers and excise and the guardia civil here in Spain were such arrangement is associated with serious drug running either around Gibraltar or the rias
In the '90s Mercedes were the cars of choice in China and they would be transferred to order, one car at a time, on suitably long tinnies with 4 x 250hp O/B from HK to the PRC. Now - no-one who is anyone in China would be seen dead in a 'second hand' Merc.

How times change

westernman

www.devalk.nl
In the '90s Mercedes were the cars of choice in China and they would be transferred to order, one car at a time, on suitably long tinnies with 4 x 250hp O/B from HK to the PRC. Now - no-one who is anyone in China would be seen dead in a 'second hand' Merc.

How times change
I have never seen an old car in China. Any ideas where they go?

Of course things like Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc are all made in China these days.

geem

Visit site
Unless the plug oiled up. In which case, you’ll get more exercise than a rower, on the start rope. Meanwhile, the electric outboard will silently potter away to the moorings, admiring the bird life on the way. Electrics ain’t quick, but they always start. My wife loves ours.
Unless the battery is flat

westernman

www.devalk.nl
A fit rower will outrun a Torqeedo.
Or a paddler. And have far longer range.
For instance one of the stages in the Hawaiki nui va'a canoe race is 58km non-stop in open sea.
The women and juniors have a "short" course of 45km.

Hawaiki-nui-vaa-2017.jpg

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Most people here are in fantasy land if they think they are fit rowers. In actual fact, a Torquedo or e propulsion motor is 1kw, and will run for 45 mins or so at that power. You find me a human that can do that. Mr Redgrave is quite old for that game. Top cyclists do about 750 watts in that time frame btw. Obviously Cavendish and his competitors can do a few thousand, but for 30 odd seconds.

geem

Visit site
Most people here are in fantasy land if they think they are fit rowers. In actual fact, a Torquedo or e propulsion motor is 1kw, and will run for 45 mins or so at that power. You find me a human that can do that. Mr Redgrave is quite old for that game. Top cyclists do about 750 watts in that time frame btw. Obviously Cavendish and his competitors can do a few thousand, but for 30 odd seconds.
I have no issue with electric outboards. If I was in the UK and wanted a motor to get me to a mooring I can think of no better solution. No smelly petrol in the car or leaky outboard. However, it would be totally miserable for us here in the Caribbean. We do lots of miles in a 3.8m hard dinghy. We carry lots of gear and up to 4 people on the plane. 1kw would get us nowhere. We use 15hp and it spot on for our needs. We deal with choppy seas and aren't not concerned to run a mile up wind into a hefty chop in 20 to 25kts of wind. Horses for courses. We do have a pair of 7ft oars that can propel us along nicely but they are a back an emergency up system not primary drive🙂

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I thought that would be the case for you. I don’t think electric power is right for everyone, yet! But it is a damned sight quicker than rowing or paddling, even if it can’t do 5 miles planing in the open sea.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Perhaps we should compare and contrast system losses. And how much of that 1Kw actually ends up as propulsion?

SaltyC

Visit site
In days gone by, (where's my Zimmer) before everyone had outboards we had Avon Redcrests with oars! I remember before a teenager leaving RCYC jetty for the boat on a mooring in Flushing (Child labour!), creep up tide before crossing then back up tide for a dash to the mooring. You learnt a lot about working the tides and adreneline fueled you with a desire to get to the boat that a lack of volts in a battery or petrol in an outboard doesn't. :)

Bouba

Visit site
Or a paddler. And have far longer range.
For instance one of the stages in the Hawaiki nui va'a canoe race is 58km non-stop in open sea.
The women and juniors have a "short" course of 45km.

Hawaiki-nui-vaa-2017.jpg
Yes but don’t they rotate paddlers...a boat drops a swimmer in the water and one of the paddlers drops overboard

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Is that different with different fuels? How efficient are oars. How efficient is the prop on your Mercury 3.3? Watt for watt, it’s little different. Am I missing your point here?
Lots of heavy freight used to be moved along our canal systems in barges. Up to 30 tons or so of cargo could be moved using one horse.
One horse is less than one watt.

geem

Visit site
The problem we all have is that the stored energy in a battery is pitiful compared to the stored energy in a litre of petrol. Petrol has 8.76kWH in a litre.
An epropulsion battery has 1.3kWh of stored energy. The batteries are £900. More than the cost of a small outboard

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Lots of heavy freight used to be moved along our canal systems in barges. Up to 30 tons or so of cargo could be moved using one horse.
One horse is less than one watt.
I beg your pardon? One horse, one horsepower all day, well, with s break or 3! 750 watts approximately. Obviously again, a great deal more if its short term, like this afternoon at Aintree.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The problem we all have is that the stored energy in a battery is pitiful compared to the stored energy in a litre of petrol. Petrol has 8.76kWH in a litre.
An epropulsion battery has 1.3kWh of stored energy. The batteries are £900. More than the cost of a small outboard
Thats the energy content. The average outboard is 20% efficient at very best. The 2 strokes only 10%. But you can carry many litres.