How many outboards do you need in your tender?

geem

Visit site
Thats the energy content. The average outboard is 20% efficient at very best. The 2 strokes only 10%. But you can carry many litres.
Agreed but lecky outboards have the same drive train issues. If we went the same speed as an electric powered dinghy I think our fuel would last a long time😅. It might actually go off in the 24 litre tank 🙂

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Agreed but lecky outboards have the same drive train issues. If we went the same speed as an electric powered dinghy I think our fuel would last a long time😅. It might actually go off in the 24 litre tank 🙂
You’re not quite there. It’s the conversion of fuel to energy I’m talking about. Electric outboards are way, way better at that. But luckily for petrol outboards, you can carry so much energy, efficiency doesn’t matter as long as you can afford the fuel. Drive train losses are similar. A 2.5 ho motor is still twice as powerful as an electric outboard, sure. It uses at least 10 times the energy input to produce that twice power.

geem

Visit site
You’re not quite there. It’s the conversion of fuel to energy I’m talking about. Electric outboards are way, way better at that. But luckily for petrol outboards, you can carry so much energy, efficiency doesn’t matter as long as you can afford the fuel. Drive train losses are similar. A 2.5 ho motor is still twice as powerful as an electric outboard, sure. It uses at least 10 times the energy input to produce that twice power.
Yep and we can water ski🙂

geem

Visit site
It’s gonna be a long time, if ever, people waterski behind electric boats. I think we’ll all have to take up some foiling equivalent. Not all bad if that’s so.
We do tow a foil board behind the dinghy. We really don't need 15hp for that. Once on the foil you don't notice you are towing anything.
I dis see a video on Utube some time ago where a guy built a hydrofoil rowing boat with a 3hp 2-stroke engine. It went like the clappers!
We see plenty of E foils here in Antigua. Maybe they could be the new trend in yacht tenders at $10k a pop🙂

Neeves

Visit site
I have never seen an old car in China. Any ideas where they go?

Of course things like Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc are all made in China these days.
Converted to scrap (saves buying Australian iron ore), recycled, to build new aircraft carriers :(. In the good old days Britain had a navy capable of fight two wars against their perceived enemies (in the event it was not quite so simple) (and we sent gunboats up the Yangtse). China is well on the way to achieving the same.

What is not made in China these days? I recall the days you could cross main roads in China in complete safety (there was no traffic) - its the same now - but its only safe because there is a monster traffic jam.

Jonathan

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
They land on our roof shortly after dawn and have loud conversations whilst stomping around... bloody things
I will be up there tomorrow setting up landing trip wires, or the buggers will be nesting. That’s a disaster. Theres a flat section in the middle of our roof. But we have a hatch to get out there, which surprises them. They did try the garage roof once, but the cat noticed. She’s an 8Kg Maine Coon….