how long is my boat??

dunmor

Visit site
the marina i am in, is currently going round measuring boats, i know for a fact that my boat
is bang on 32ft. it has always been on the part 1 reg. when i looked in this so i could take
it to the office to prove it is 32ft, it doesn't say 32ft but is as follows.
length from fore-part of stem to the center of the middle stock. 30ft. and 5.0 tenths
what exactly does that mean?:confused:

sarabande

Visit site
from the very front of the sharp end, to the very back of the blunt end, your boat is 30feet and 5/10ths of a foot long.

It looks as if you might have (had) some extra length in perhaps the pulpit, or it has shrunk over time.

Anyway the rebate from the marina may be a welcome surprise :)

The_man_from_ABBA

Visit site
the marina i am in, is currently going round measuring boats, i know for a fact that my boat
is bang on 32ft. it has always been on the part 1 reg. when i looked in this so i could take
length from fore-part of stem to the center of the middle stock. 30ft. and 5.0 tenths

Whatever you have on paper will mean nothing to your marina.
Your boat will be as long as they measure it to be.
Marinas will take into account: bowsprit, pulpit, davits, windvane selfsteering, and whatever else they feel like adding.

Why are we expected to pay for boat length and not pontoon length?

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
My Part 1 registry recorded length was to do with tonnage and bore no relation to the actual length of the boat. I think it is the load line length that os on the paper work. The actual length should be on build documents or measured.

mihtjel

Visit site
It looks very much like the load line length, which is from the fore side of the stem to the middle of the rudder stock - and the overall length would be to the aftermost end of the boat, probably 1.5 feet further along.

VicS

Visit site
REGISTERED LENGTH is the length from the fore part of the stem to the aft side of the stern post (or in a ship not having a stern post) to the fore side of the rudder stock at the point where the rudder stock passes out of the hull. In ships not having a stern post or rudder stock the after terminal point is taken to the outer face of the transom or stem of the ship. With regard to the forward terminal the measurement is to be taken to the forward face of the structure above the deepest load waterline which is an integral part of the ship, being connected by welding or riveting but not bolts, and do not include bulbous or ram bows.

LOAD LINE LENGTH is defined as the greater of the following distances: The distance between the fore part of the stem to the aft and the axis of the rudder stock OR 96% of the distance between the fore side of the stem and the aft of the stern. The points and measurements being taken respectively at and along a waterline at 85% of the least moulded depth of the ship. In the case of a ship having a rake of keel the waterline shall be parallel to the designed waterline.

REGISTERED LENGTH is the old way of measuring length and is often still quoted in the U.K. again it may be helpful to consult the drawings of the vessel if determining load line and registered lengths.

sailorman

Visit site
30ft 6 ins

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Traditionally 'length over all' (LOA) was measured the same way as the registered length - i.e. giving the hull length. This measurement excluded projections overhanging the hull, such as bowsprits, bumpkins, booms, rudders, pulpits, davits, etc., etc.

What the marina are interested in is the total length of the boat with all its appendages and projections.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Part 1 measurement goes from the bow to the rudder post, which may be a foot or two in from the stern. A quaint old custom that saves many part one owners a little bit on matina fees :)

jwilson

Visit site
Registered lengths and "tonnage" often bear not very close relation to actual overall length as we know it, or actual displacement (weight) of a yacht. They are calculated by formula from measurements, but the measurements are not taken from the very front and back of a typical yacht. The formulas started in the 14th century as a way of calculating taxes due, and registered tonnage is actually an estimate of how many large "tun" barrels of wine (or pickled herrings, or anything else) that a ship could carry.

As others have said, registered length is usually shorter than actual length, giving occasional assistance in reducing marina fees, exactly as Bavaria 32 owners often get (they are actually 34 ft long). Tonnage figures can be higher or lower than actual displacement.

R1chB1ch

Visit site
As someone who works in a marina I just love customers like you. Our business is to rent you a space to moor your boat, that is your boat in its entirety including any pulpits, davits and swim platforms and anything else fixed to the boat which sticks out front or back. It doesn't matter what it says on your part one document, your bill of sale, your small ships document, your BSS, the original build papers or even on the side of your boat, we are interested in what the tape measure says. I always offer my customers to hold the end of the tape measure to ensure they are happy with the measurement and 99% of them are usually accurate with how long it is. Funny, you always know which customer is going to quibble when he comes in and says "I have a Turbo 36 which is 36' long for a berth, that's 36' did you get that, 36'..." Yes mate, I got that and I've got your number! :rolleyes: I maybe female and I maybe blonde, but I wasn't born yesterday. If paying to keep your prized boat is too much for your wallet it's time to look for a new hobby!!