How long does it take to ....

Jimmy_James

Visit site
Hello -

I'm new to cruising but am planning on talking a year out to sail round the Med. I've got my eye on a 26 foot Catamaran for the trip -

Can you advise me how long it takes to sail from South East Uk, over to France, Spain, Portugal and onto Minorca or Ibiza ?

I reckoned if we sailed nearly every day it would take around 5 weeks ? Does this sound about correct if setting off early in the year. How many days a week does one normally sail before it gets boring and you need a couple of days in harbour ?
Thanks
James

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
the trip you envisage is almost 2,000 miles. So, if you loaded up and just thrashed along you might do it only three weeks. But, of course the idea is to plonk around and investigate things on the way, not zoom past.

There again, it is chcuking it down here amd prob in northern france, spain is a bit oily, portugal is a bit 3rd world, so you could be in Majorca for this time next month!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Whats the average speed your cat can manage, in all weathers? What is the weather going to be? What is your experience? Do you want to hammer on or stop and smell the roses? How much money do you have for diesel, when theres no wind? Get a big chart, an atlas will do and a pair of dividers, now measure the distances involved, (quite large) now you will have an idea, why it's impossible to say. You will need more than a year to sail around the med, it's 500 miles, from gib to Ibiza!

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
In "89 I "daysailed" from Brighton to Gib in 21 days.
We then pottered to Almerimar in about another two weeks.
I would say you could daysail to the balearics in 5 or 6 weeks
if you avoid many days off for shore trips and R&R.
You'll have to spend about 3 nights at sea between Brest and
say Bayonna. And the occasional overnighter down the Portuguese coast.
Then another one 'tween the Algarve and Gib. Then if you're unlucky
you can motor all the way to Ibiza!!
Are you going to be using an outboard as your main engine!!
They're not incredibly reliable or even safe in Med temps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
We brought our cat, 32 ft, through the french canals. We left dover in mid may and stopped to overwinter in Avignon in Sept. Finally left Sete in early June last year. Had a great time, was not boring, enjoyed the local produce en route.
What is the rush? Take your time and enjoy. If you are in a big hurry stick her on the back of a truck and take an aeroplane.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
the trip you outline took me TWO YEARS but I would have liked to take longer. Never spent enough time in most places and missed a wholw lot out........

at 5 knts 2000 miles is 400 hours or 16.6 days sailing, if you do not stop.

Go for it!

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

colvic

Visit site
If time really is the limiting factor then the following timetable was achieved May-June a few years ago. Time for sight seeing etc. is not included just moving along as almost as quick as we could. Hornfleur to Paris, 3days: Paris to Chalonne 11 days. Challonne to Arles 4 days. Arles to Sete 2 days. Sete to Barcelona 3 days. Barcelona to Majorca 1 day. 24 days motoring took three months to complete due to sight seeing, bad weather in the Med. etc.etc.

The truth is you just cant tell for a trip of that distance. Last year it took two months from Valencia to Gib, doing the sights etc. and only 8 days back and upto Barcelona again. Nackered didn't come into it!!!

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

piscosour

Visit site
why do so many people talk of cruising assuming a magical 5 knots? If there is a gale I might just about get to 5 otherwise a leisurely 3 and a half seems to be about it. P. S. I know how to set a sail, it's just that the boat is quite sturdy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
The western Med is a disappointing, overcrowded, expensive and uncomfortable place in which to sail.

You would be passing some (IMHO) vastly superior cruising areas in your proposed thrash down there.

S Brittany and the Vendée
the Rias of Galicia
Algarve and the S Spanish Atlantic coast.

I've been in the Med now for two years and reckon it vastly inferior as a cruising ground to those.

With good weather and a strong crew you could allow about 20 - 25 days to get to the Straits of Gibraltar from the Fal - you'd need to go in late May or early June to get the weather to cross Biscay and to catch the start of Portuguese Trades.

Coming back, I'd strongly recommend the canals.

Ensure your anchoring technique and ground tackle are up to scratch - you'll find few, if any Mediterranean marinas will have room for you during the summer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
3.5 is fine just re-do the calculation. why do people want to ruch around? We are currently planning another trip and so far we need at least 2 yeard to do the UK and Irish coasts and even that looks too quick.......

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

Reap

Visit site
If you sail direct straight across the Biscay without stopping you could make Majorca in about two weeks, subject to conditions. This is the only realistic way to make the trip quickly. There seems little point in stopping in France if your in a hurry unless you are forced to. That said....as other people have pointed out, you are missing out on some of the best cruising grounds in Europe, whats the hurry?

If you miss out France altogether and head straight for La Coruna or thereabouts it will take you about four days from the South west. That leaves you with plenty of time to enjoy cruising Spain and Portugal. Four weeks or so from La Coruna to Majorca will give you a pleasant and relaxed cruise.

So I would say your estimate of five weeks from South East to Majorca is not too bad.
However you may feel somewhat exposed across Biscay on a 26 footer. Your choice is then either to get a good window in the weather and 'go for it' or go round the french coast, as would seem to be your wish.
Personally I would want a little more time for this if I wanted it to be a holiday, but that is not to say that you could not do it in this time and still enjoy it as long as you have a strong crew.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>