How I hate the anchor trip line

Star-Lord

Visit site
So what’s the strategy if it’s caught firm under an old mooring chain 15m down? Jettison the chain with a marker buoy attached and send divers down? I think that’s my strategy.
Yes, mark it with a fender and do just that. I carry a spare main anchor and 10m chain and 90m anchorplait rode just in case of this scenario and I need to anchor elsewhere before getting it all back. I use Navily (app) and Navionics and most fouled areas will be marked. Obv you can always get unlucky or have no choice. I did get fouled nicely by lots of old pots and twine in the south anchorage at Syracusa and it took half an hour to cut it all away.

ylop

Visit site
So what’s the strategy if it’s caught firm under an old mooring chain 15m down? Jettison the chain with a marker buoy attached and send divers down? I think that’s my strategy.
There’s a step before you call the divers. You can run a loop of heavy line around the chain and along the rode so that it engages the anchor at the blade/shaft junction and it can be pulled in a different direction.

I have never tried this, or heard of it from any other source.

* Frank George Griffith Carr - Wikipedia
There’s a common approach used on small boats (where carrying a bouy and tripping line is difficult) which is a modernised version of this - the chain is shackled to the place that a tripping line would normally be attached, then the chain is zip tied along the shaft of the anchor. In normal use the anchor works normally, but if fouled pulling the chain tightly will burst the zip ties and then the rode becomes a tripping line.

Poignard

Visit site
There’s a step before you call the divers. You can run a loop of heavy line around the chain and along the rode so that it engages the anchor at the blade/shaft junction and it can be pulled in a different direction.

There’s a common approach used on small boats (where carrying a bouy and tripping line is difficult) which is a modernised version of this - the chain is shackled to the place that a tripping line would normally be attached, then the chain is zip tied along the shaft of the anchor. In normal use the anchor works normally, but if fouled pulling the chain tightly will burst the zip ties and then the rode becomes a tripping line.
Thanks for that. Good to know it is a technique that is still in use.

Did you know it was called "Skowing"? I had never come across that word before.

graham

Visit site
A diver is likely to cost more than an anchor.
Maybe I have just been lucky in never using a trip line in 50 odd years of cruising under sail.

graham

Visit site

Not sure I would rely on cable ties to keep my anchor in allingment in a blow or less than smoothe water.

Fine for a lunchtime stop or a bit of fishing but not good when the boat depends on the anchor.

ylop

Visit site
Not sure I would rely on cable ties to keep my anchor in allingment in a blow or less than smoothe water.

Fine for a lunchtime stop or a bit of fishing but not good when the boat depends on the anchor.
Yeah the size of boat where the space issues with storing a tripping line and bouy aren’t usually staying over night in a gale. I’ve used it and set it with a good burst of reverse - it only breaks if the pull is near perpendicular to the shaft/stock. It’s easy to rerig as normal or add a shackle at the end of the stock if conditions / situation needs greater security - usually in those situations having to sacrifice an anchor afterwards is not the end of the world.

lustyd

Visit site
Am I alone In my dislike of deploying an anchor trip line?
No, and you’re only listing the inconvenience to yourself. You said nothing of the inconvenience to others such as the many small buoys in an anchorage making it effectively a field of pot markers. Nor did you mention the effective reduction in capacity of anchorages since boats can no longer swing over your anchor as they should be able to.

I find them extremely obnoxious, especially given they cause as many problems to the owner as to others.

capnsensible

Visit site
Many tides ago we had a yacht charter business in The Solent.

One of our customers anchored outside Yarmouth, put out a trip line, ran it over and damaged the prop shaft p bracket. They had to be towed in and lifted at the boatyard. Hales,?? Iirc. It cost them and us quite a packet despite the insurance claim.

I've never needed to use one especially in Caribbean anchorages where the chances are some rental boat might try and moor on it....

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Sounds to me your overdoing it,, use the trip line for what it does and trip the anchor if it snags up.
I simply attach the trip wire to the anchor (CQR type) and send it out with the anchor, saved me many times over the years

Attachments

• At anchor with trip wire.JPG
    At anchor with trip wire.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 41
  • At anchor.JPG
    At anchor.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 41

noelex

Visit site
I've been considering getting one of these: Grippy Light signalling buoy

What does the panel think?
The light helps boats coming into the anchorage at night, but the sophisticated float does not fix the most annoying problem, which is the boat tangling with the anchor float when it becomes trapped in the stern gear, rudder etc. As the float is attached to the crown of the anchor, even a light force on the float can trip the anchor.

Either the boat deploying the anchor float or another boat within the swing circle can be involved.

Keeping the anchor float directly above the anchor with the spring loaded mechanism in this float does not really help, as it is not the anchor buoy drifting out of position, but rather a boat drifting over the anchor that is usually to blame.

The other issue is it makes the anchor float look even more like a mooring. It would not be sensible to use a weak link on such an expensive float and without this installed there is no protection if someone mistakes the float for a mooring.

noelex

Visit site
I’d have to disagree with that. Ruining my night vision with lights at the waterline while also reducing available space to anchor is not what I consider helpful.
I agree anchor floats are a nuisance and even a danger to other boats entering the anchorage, especially boats entering at night. If a boat entering the anchorage inadvertently runs over the anchor float of another vessel their engine may be disabled. Anchor floats also reduce the available anchoring room. These are some of the reasons I only very rarely use one.

However, if you are going to deploy an anchor float, a large visible buoy with a light for nighttime use is much better than the typical offering, which is sometimes just an old plastic milk bottle.

lustyd

Visit site
My preference is to simply discourage the practice rather than entertain options for the antisocial behaviour. Whether a milk bottle or a needlessly advanced pointless gadget, it's still neither useful or friendly to use a float. I could, of course, just ignore the float and my keel will disengage the antisocial anchor when we all swing, but I'm not quite there yet...

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
A loop of chain attached to the lifting warp will sink better than a loop of warp. This has always been my intended strategy if I get a fouled anchor but I've never had to use it.