how good is a fisherman anchor?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
YM test table.jpgThis is the results table from the 2006 Yachting Monthly/West Marine/Sail magazine comprehensive tests carried out in California. The genuine CQR, despite being the most expensive anchor there, was a notably poor performer. Three failures to set and one drag, which bears out the many videos available on the internet.

Neeves

Visit site
Maybe TNLI writes romantic fiction? - he has a fertile imagination even if he forgets what he scripted.

If TNLI does some research (for a change and then reports accurately on the findings - I know this is a tall order) I am sure he will find that Jimmy Cook did some work with Admiralty style anchors in a whole variety of seabeds.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
View attachment 138028This is the results table from the 2006 Yachting Monthly/West Marine/Sail magazine comprehensive tests carried out in California. The genuine CQR, despite being the most expensive anchor there, was a notably poor performer. Three failures to set and one drag, which bears out the many videos available on the internet.

Ah!

Why spoil a good story with data and fact.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Ah!

Why spoil a good story with data and fact.

Jonathan

For completeness and accuracy. it is not difficult to check and provide accurate posts.

Spade anchor is awarded a VHHP certification by Bureau Veritas, VHHP is the same as SHHP. That puts Spade up there with Rocna (whose certification may have lapsed), Supreme, Fortress, Excel, Epsilon and Ultra and these anchors have twice the hold of HHP anchors like CQR, Delta and Bruce. I read on a post here, about 2-3 months ago that Knox has also been certificated?

Jonathan

TNLI

Visit site
Yes, this "new" CQR is very different fom the old one both in design and construction.

Do not understand how you can say the old one was better than the Delta when the YM test you linked to in the other thread shows exactly the opposite - the "genuine" CQR (which you are hoping to sell!) came bottom by a long way in the comparative tests and the Delta was in the middle - superior on every scenario.

You really do seem to have difficulty in sorting out fact from fiction and getting facts right.

You need to look at more test results and ignore those for any anchor that bends or breaks. The bolt together anchors tend to be the ones that break, unless it is one that is not a droped forged version.

Similar test to RNLI: CQR vs. Delta. Anchor Test Video # 124 - YouTube

The YM tests include all of the bendable anchors and even the breakable Fortress, so it's irrelevant and is only a stright pull. The test with the 180 veer was a real yey opener for spade fans, as they simply did not reset.

In certification terms, the only ones that count are a full direct Lloyds and ABS approvals. The ABS bendability test is better than Lloyds, as that test is for a straight pull, when it should be for a 90 degree pull and a straight pull. Oddly enough the new Lewmar CQR does not have an ABS certificate yet, but their version of the Fortress, an alloy Danforth and the Lewmar copy of a bruce both do.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You need to look at more test results and ignore those for any anchor that bends or breaks. The bolt together anchors tend to be the ones that break, unless it is one that is not a droped forged version.

A few more test to read: CQR vs. Delta. Anchor Test Video # 124 - YouTube
Every anchor will bend or break if loaded sufficiently. I have photographs of almost every anchor you can name with bent shanks that occurred in service. That includes a bent, drop forged CQR and a fractured cast one (weight marked in 1/2 lbs)

geem

Visit site
well in the med or west coast france i agree but hear in the baltic it holds!
today there was a rotten blow the anchor had turned180 and hasent moved draged that is a bit.
in another anchorage with thin mud sand it draged so slowly in f5 i went to sleep next morning after a sleep in as it was frezing being only the behining july i got up made tea then moved
with my bruce 15kg when that broke out i hzd the sail up in record time without tea!
the bruce holds but when it breaks out you have to be quick
ive wanted to change the fisherman which came with the boat in 1944 but it works well hear and its /was like new as it lived under a bearth where the boat yard put it on launch
so modern tech or old the fishermans the anchor for weed hear if not france!
You are not comparing your fisherman's to a good anchor like a Spade or excel, etc. Lots of people get rid of a Bruce for similar reasons. There are far better anchors about now. My Spade sets very well in weed when my Rocna didn't. Buy a modern anchor not a relic of yesteryear

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Just a few anchor threads, and I‘ve had a good education on anchors. Having had our boat only a year, we’ve just used the anchors she came with. Had no idea what they were, it now transpires we have a Spade main anchor, and an aluminium Fortress as a second, both with about 6m of chain, then 8 plait. Never used the Fortress, but we’ve had 100% success with the Spade. I shall, in future, pay far more attention to anchors and anchoring, so thanks guys. Most reassuring, we appear to have a good anchor.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Just a few anchor threads, and I‘ve had a good education on anchors. Having had our boat only a year, we’ve just used the anchors she came with. Had no idea what they were, it now transpires we have a Spade main anchor, and an aluminium Fortress as a second, both with about 6m of chain, then 8 plait. Never used the Fortress, but we’ve had 100% success with the Spade. I shall, in future, pay far more attention to anchors and anchoring, so thanks guys. Most reassuring, we appear to have a good anchor.
An excellent combination, could hardly be bettered. Personally I prefer to have more chain, or all chain, on the bower but that is partly due to sailing in Greece where I often deploy 50 - 60 metres.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
An excellent combination, could hardly be bettered. Personally I prefer to have more chain, or all chain, on the bower but that is partly due to sailing in Greece where I often deploy 50 - 60 metres.
When you draw less than 0.5m, anchoring in deep water isnt much of a consideration. We normally anchor and just walk off through the shallow water.

plus, of course, we are a lightweight tri, and if we can save weight, we will.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Your credibility needs some support.

Would you please confirm that the RNLI are going to cease equipping their Shannon Class with Spade anchors and replace them with the 90 year old design of the CQR. As you have obviously received this information from RNLI (?) (or is it a figment of your imagination) I am sure you asked your contact precisely why if the CQR is so good they equipped their previous generation of boats with Deltas (and not CQRs) and why they are using Deltas on the inshore boats (instead of the implied better anchors - the CQR).

I would also need to ask - if the Spade anchors have been found wanting, then again I am sure you asked, why not remove the Spade anchors completely - makes no sense at all for them, a safety organisation, to use questionable anchors when you are claiming they think the CQR is better. If I were a crew man on the Shannon Class I would be concerned at carrying an anchor when the organisation itself had found a better product. The legal implications don't look good.

It is impossible to buy a new genuine CQR but second hand, genuine, versions are cheaply available at boat jumbles - but you cannot give them away.

Jonathan
Don't you ever learn to STFU.