How do I keep a small sailing boat?

oz-1

Visit site
Hi there and happy New year. I have a 21 foot, home built sailboat, which i've kept in Torquay inner harbour, since i built her in 1993. You can put your name on the waiting list and pay a deposit of £25, which is credited towards your berth, when allocated. The inner harbour is really well protected ( even from those horrible Easterlies ) and the harbour staff are excellent. Although the waiting list doesn't sound encouraging, it is surprising how quickly you might be offered a berth. Best of luck.

Stemar

Visit site
Do it! Don't let the negative comments put you off. You're starting off right by asking sensible questions - BTW, in my book at least the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, because you remain ignorant.

You could just buy a boat and get a sailing friend to take you out, but I reckon you'd do better to go sailing on a friend's boat to learn the ropes. If you haven't got a sailing friend, join a local club and you'll soon find people to take you out. As mentioned above the Day Skipper Theory course will give you basic knowledge that should keep you from becoming a Captain Calamity. A practical Competent Crew course will make you a useful crew member and they're always in demand, especially if they buy their round!

Trailer sailing is tempting, but any boat you're going to want to overnight in, and especially one your partner will want to overnight in is a good bit of work to rig and de-rig. A lot of people start off with that idea, but soon find a mooring and just take the boat home for the winter. This means you'll want a mooring. Marinas are out unless you're richer than me, drying moorings are cheaper than deep water ones, but need a suitable boat, probably a twin keel job, but you're a good way from looking at boats seriously, let alone buying one. Come back and ask about that when you've got a better idea of the kind of sailing you want to do and the moorings that are available in your area. If you get bitten by the racing bug you'll want something very different from the ideal boat for lazy days at anchor.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
You might consider a Hunter Liberty - small enough to tow but big enough for a holiday, quick and simple to rig, can live on a drying mooring, outboard can be taken home for maintenance. A boat like that would simplify some of the inherent problems of boat ownership.

slawosz

Visit site
I would consider starting with dinghies as you gain experience fast and it’s great fun. I moved to owning a tiny cruiser quick. This forum was great help with finding a mooring/club. Writing why you want to get into boating would help to give you best advices. I would start from something small, ideally bilge keel as logistics is easier and you could get drying mooring. The smaller the better, you can still do good trips. Personally I would recommend something with outboard engine, as those are much better for beginners regarding cost and maintenance.

lustyd

Visit site
20 feet is generally going to be trailer capable.
While true, most 20 foot cruisers will smash through the weight limit for what is now the majority of drivers on the road (anyone passing since 1997 who doesn't have a lorry + trailer test). There's a reason we see fewer and fewer trailer sailers these days - fewer drivers can use them!

While true, most 20 foot cruisers will smash through the weight limit for what is now the majority of drivers on the road (anyone passing since 1997 who doesn't have a lorry + trailer test). There's a reason we see fewer and fewer trailer sailers these days - fewer drivers can use them!
The law on this was changed quite recently, and now anybody with a normal car licence can tow a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes, if they passed their test since 1997. Those who passed before can drive a car + trailer up to 8.25 tonnes.

lustyd

Visit site
Yes, 3500kg including the car, boat, fuel, trailer and everything in it. 1997 is mid 40s, so the majority of people on the roads have the lower limit, ironically leaving only older drivers and pensioners with the higher limit. The bigger the boat, the bigger vehicle you need, and this ultimately means you have to have an empty boat and it has to be super light, which means it's probably not up to much in terms of cruising.
My Vivacity 20 was a tonne with nothing in it. Add a trailer and 4x4, 100KG of fuel between the two, outboard engine, clothing, food, stove, anchor, chain...
I reckon I probably had 20KG of booze on board most of the time, it all adds up quickly to make 3500KG an unattainable number for cruising from a trailer.

Yes, it clearly says 3500KG MAM.
That is the trailers MAM, not the entire rig, which would be the GTW. A quote from the link on the GOV web site:

What changed on 16 December 2021
If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’re now allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM.

Check your car’s handbook to find out its gross train weight (GTW). This is the total allowable weight of the car plus the trailer plus the load.
DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You do not need to contact DVLA for this to happen. It will be done automatically. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you next apply to get a new driving licence.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997, you are not affected by the change.

lustyd

Visit site
It also describes MAM as the weight of trailer and car, and in the previous section explicitely calls out 3500KG as total weight. Let's agree to disagree, it's not what the thread is about. If you want to argue, start another thread.

clyst

Visit site
If you want cheap deep water moorings come to the river Tamar . Join Cargreen yacht club checkout their website .

V1701

Visit site
Go have a look at a few, there's a massive difference twixt a 20 & a 30 foot sailboat. After your steel canal boat a fibreglass hull will be a joy...:D