How could this happen?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Sorry got to bite! Surely,if you are aground and drying out (falling the 'wrong way') you would stay awake, inflate dinghy, advise CG NOT go to bed??

Is the engineer being tooooo practical???

Humm my experience is that East Coast boaters are quite used to going aground on a falling tide , ofter taking a Nap is a usuall way of dealing with it , why watch the Water just catch up on some sleep and rest : Some of them Sandbanks etc can have pretty steep to sides to them , not apparent when freshly run on top of them ; So any stranded Craft coud easily just slip stern first , backwards , into deeper waters , especially if wind was in wrong direction ?

I do find fault with the Boats Pumps running off /from the Engine , which I think is troublesome , and unessary >

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I do find fault with the Boats Pumps running off /from the Engine , which I think is troublesome , and unessary >

That's the only way you'll get a serious volume of water shifted, or, as is likely in this case as they were keen anglers, you want something akin to a pressure washer to clean the decks/cockpit.

That's no reason, though, to not have a smaller capacity electric pump run off the batteries, and/or a manual pump for draining the bilges.

Mr. Hohnen also had some handy buckets he might have been able to press into service!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
For completists!

More info here -
'Fighting spirit': Boy wakes from coma after boat sinks

Another local report suggests they started to sink the previous afternoon -
https://www.news.com.au/national/qu...n/news-story/a93f53bf3f559218110cb448ad536343

This one says there would be an investigation, and that authorities were searching for the boat.
Boy, 7, placed into coma after boat rescue in freezing water

This video may test your patience, but has some more background. Having previously looked at a chart, I'd guessed that they would probably have been in shallow water roughly SSW of their departure point, but the area a coastguard points to in this vid is well offshore and 45 to 50m deep. (Do small angling boats really anchor in such depths?) He also says that winds were up to 20 knots and waves to 1.5m.
If the conditions were anything like that before they ended up in the water, being anchored by the stern could well result in water coming over the transom into the boat, but would make it all the more puzzling how they could have slept through such conditions.

Apparently such incidents are 'investigated' by the State, in this case Queensland, but they seem only to publish aggregated annual statistics, rather than a detailed report on an incident.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
That's the only way you'll get a serious volume of water shifted, or, as is likely in this case as they were keen anglers, you want something akin to a pressure washer to clean the decks/cockpit.

That's no reason, though, to not have a smaller capacity electric pump run off the batteries, and/or a manual pump for draining the bilges.

Mr. Hohnen also had some handy buckets he might have been able to press into service!

Humm still think that its not good practice to run Engine to use the boat Pumps , if it needs a powerfull flow to hose down etc then that facility should be a option with engines running not entirely dependent upon the Engines running , otherwise as poss in this case a Non Starter Engine puts the Craft at great risk of flooding

shan

Visit site
...and what about the bucket? Clung onto a bucket? Mr Shan has dropped 2 buckets overboard (don't ask) and the first thing they did was fill with water and sink! Far too many odd details.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
...and what about the bucket? Clung onto a bucket? Mr Shan has dropped 2 buckets overboard (don't ask) and the first thing they did was fill with water and sink! Far too many odd details.
in the picture its a 5 litre paint container with lid. I use such as rubbish buckets and bailers. With lid on it would float.

The survival rings true - it the sinking thats odd

fisherman

Visit site
A fisherman went overboard while dipping a bucket overside, he had taken a turn round his fist. the nature of his need for the bucket meant no one went looking to see where he was for a while. Reversed course and found him using the upturned bucket for buoyancy. In the days before we had to wear lifejackets.
If you dip a bucket, hold a bight in your fist with the loop over your thumb....or if you are holding anything you might need to let go of.
A 39ft boat was moored alongside coastline wharf , Penryn. Forward wheel house, long shelterdeck behind, forepeak accomodation. They woke to find water round them, the boat on end stern down, she had caught under the quay. So it can happen, and this boat had a sealed deck with nowhere for water to get below until the fish hold hatch, well for'd of the stern, but she was loaded with full net bins.
Skipper swam down through the shelterdeck, with the tangle nets just below him. Another squeezed out of the gap round the hauler, got up and took a turn with the bow warp, the third was face up against the wheelhouse windows, they managed to break a window and release him.
The same crew spent 42 hours in a liferaft in a NE gale in the 80s, boat sank mid channel. The same skipper had cause to fire a liferaft many years before but it failed due to lack of servicing, and they had to get the boat back up.
So he had some luck, went to his funeral last week.

[3889]

Visit site
Maybe a bit left field but maybe journalists neither know nor care about the content of the 1500 words they need to submit by a deadline, as long as their editor is equally ill-informed. That's certainly born out by newspaper articles I've read on subjects I have only a passing knowledge of.

fisherman

Visit site
snap. Every time I've read some piece in a newspaper that I had knowledge of it has been inaccurate. The 1983 Manaccan Murders, 'in a caravan overlooking Frenchman's creek, of Daphne Du Maurier fame' actually a mile east and facing the other way. Ditto a phone quote from me, mangled beyond recognition.