Hot Liquid: the response

flipper

Visit site
I'm sure if they had made it, there would have been high fives all round. The fact that it went pear shaped means the skipper [removed]

I did a night crossing from Ostend to the Orwell on a sea school boat, leaving into a F8 and passing an incoming dis-masted yacht. Two of us hand steered the 31' boat all night as the other two crew were sea sick. Rained all night and no sprayhood etc so freezing cold too. Never once did I think that the skipper made a wrong call to set out as I trusted him.
However if it had gone tits up then he would have been a [removed] too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunny skies

Visit site
Whilst I gather the weather was pretty nasty during this incident, I am somewhat concerned that someone holding a "Day Skipper" ticket (or whatever you wish to call it) felt unable to helm the boat.

This is someone that is "technically" qualified to charter and skipper boats in this and other countries (via an obtainable ICC). Methinks the standards may need to be raised somewhat?

The qualification held was DAY SKIPPER. This was at night in extreme conditions and extremally seasick.There is no way this person could helm the boat.

Genoa

Visit site
and how do i know whos good enough to go out with

I think this is a really important point. How do we know?
Surely one can reasonably expect an RYA recognised training establishment to ensure their skippers (even when not instructing) act in the clients interest. This will utimately be in the best interest of the business.

I have a good friend who had been sailing for 5-6 years on/off and was invited to sail with a work colleague on his boat in an unfamiliar area. He went and was amazed how poorly the boat was navigated / sailed but couldn't get off. Fortunately it was a short weekend not a 2 week cruise - This can happen alot with OPYC

Incidentally my son did his DS with HL and he certainly came out of it with a higher degree of skill and seamanship. He was taught to ask the right questions about his passage planning based on yacht capability/crew capability/anticipated conditions/Plans B&C. They had 2 days of F6-8 in the solent, and I am glad the instructor took them out - we all get caught out sometime and to experience these conditions when you are not incharge (but are in a location where it is 'unlikely' to become life and death) is an important lesson, and will make you think - do you really want to be out there again?

Last edited:

newman123

Visit site
skipper had his own agenda

Thank you for your contributions.

I was just about to wade in with a bit of a defence for Hot Liquid in respect of there being nothing too wrong with heading out with a poor forcast for "later" if conditions are manageable now on a "suck it and see" basis if a plan B is available.

i set off on a training boat once in a F6 increasing F8 heading around Carmel Head (Ooooop north!) once and the crew were "up for it" but the skipper asked for constant feedback and eventually decided to head for a bolthole.

It sounds like everybody but the skipper wanted to call it a day on your boat.

Did he not ask for/listen to opinions from the crew at all?

Judders

Visit site
and how do i know whos good enough to go out with

Your own judgement. (Hopefully not a foreign concept, even in 2012)

When I was doing that sort of thing, I'd always start with a short trip for obvious reasons, and yes, one does look at RYA qualifications as a guide, though the more Yachtmasters I sail with, the less I think of the qualification.

fireball

Visit site
Not at all once we'd left Southampton and by midnight most of us were to ill to challenge him though I know that the helmsman did try to.

Thank you for your continued contribution .. :)

Do you know if you were east or west of Dover when the decision finally came in to abort?

fireball

Visit site
in my experiance you never know how good someone is till you go out with them ..so how can a newbe know ?

You have no idea of a drivers ability when you get into a car ... be it a friend or a taxi - you can't know - you can only make your own assessment based on what you see/hear/feel at the time.

Genoa

Visit site
You have no idea of a drivers ability when you get into a car ... be it a friend or a taxi - you can't know - you can only make your own assessment based on what you see/hear/feel at the time.

Exactly, and if you are a Newbie and set off from say Brighton, out through the chop at what point do you make a judgement that the guy is a [removed]? - You prob would't know to judge his approach leaving the berth as your head is spinning with springs made of rope and Bowlines at the stern or Bow lines....

Then you are out, would you want him to take you back in through the entrance? That was the most terrifying bit!

Last edited by a moderator: