Hot Liquid: the response

D

Deleted member 36384

Whilst I gather the weather was pretty nasty during this incident, I am somewhat concerned that someone holding a "Day Skipper" ticket (or whatever you wish to call it) felt unable to helm the boat.

This is someone that is "technically" qualified to charter and skipper boats in this and other countries (via an obtainable ICC). Methinks the standards may need to be raised somewhat?

Day Skipper - a person who can confidently sail a familiar yacht, in familiar waters during the hours of day light. One can complete the course and be awarded the course completion certificate if they have 10 days at sea and 4 night hours and 100 miles experience before starting the course.

fireball

Visit site
Whilst I gather the weather was pretty nasty during this incident, I am somewhat concerned that someone holding a "Day Skipper" ticket (or whatever you wish to call it) felt unable to helm the boat.

This is someone that is "technically" qualified to charter and skipper boats in this and other countries (via an obtainable ICC). Methinks the standards may need to be raised somewhat?

I'll give you an example ... I've got quite a bit of sailing experience - but mostly with a tiller - I did my DS prac in a tiller boat ...

Bav34 took us for a sail in his boat on a windy day ... we didn't get the sail balance right (he'll agree) and the boat was a bit of a handful for me on a reach .. it got to a point where I was seesawing the wheel so much I handed it back to him ... I wouldn't consider that I couldn't handle a boat in such situations - but I lacked the experience of a wheel and the incorrect sail plan didn't help .. Big difference was that we were capable of correcting the sail plan - but it was only a little jaunt so didn't worry ...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Day Skipper - a person who can confidently sail a familiar yacht, in familiar waters during the hours of day light. One can complete the course and be awarded the course completion certificate if they have 10 days at sea and 4 night hours and 100 miles experience before starting the course.

What are you doing? Facts & common sense have no place on this thread!

Running down wind against the tide at the Straits of Dover in a large fast yacht & a gale(+) of wind would be borderline for many more experienced people. A basic cert of competence would make not a jot of difference.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Dick Durham has written it up rather well I think,

Apparently the manager of Slicky licky is a tad disappointed with the negative responses on social media and forums.

I sort of get an impression that with a FULL strong crew the boat could have been ridden hard under some sail to a safe haven.

There are now some 30,000 hits on the original post and I sort of get the impression that to everyone except their manager, the wheels ( plural) really have fallen off this one.

No worries, plenty of other sailing schools to take up the slack, hey ho.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Running down wind against the tide at the Straits of Dover in a large fast yacht & a gale(+) of wind would be borderline for many more experienced people. A basic cert of competence would make not a jot of difference.

Quite.

In 2009, i crossed the North Sea in a F8, downwind, with a crew including people with at least 3,000nm of cruising in varied locations and conditions under their belt each, but much of it as crew, rather than helming for 3,000nm. The sea state got very rough indeed, and for 2hrs I felt i was the only one competent enough to helm safely. So anyone who thinks Dayskippers are capable of handling extreme conditions by very fact of the ticket is dangerously naive.

Talulah

Visit site
So hypothetical question:
If you were one of those on board and terrified would you use your mobile phone to call the Coastguard against the wishes of the skipper?
(I'm not suggesting anyone on board had thoughts along this line.)

sailorman

Visit site
So hypothetical question:
If you were one of those on board and terrified would you use your mobile phone to call the Coastguard against the wishes of the skipper?
(I'm not suggesting anyone on board had thoughts along this line.)

a strong posiblility, but as they were dazed kippers they might use a VHF :D

fireball

Visit site
For those that sneer at seasickness, it can totally debilitate. I don't suffer, but have been aboard boats that have lost crew to it including the skipper.

Yes - it can ... it doesn't have to - I "suffer" but carry on regardless...
If these were "experienced" DS + crew they should know if they suffer and that should be taken into account when considering a passage.

saltylegs

Visit site
Pity - when I read it my first thought was "what MAIB report?" They take months to come out, so for a moment I thought Mr Hot Liquid was talking about a report from one of his previous accidents. The interjection from YBW that "he may have just said 'MAIB Report', but he's talking *******s" was helpful.

Pete

I think there was an MAIB investigation into another of thier 40.7's last summer.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Guys, READ THE PIECE!!!

its says...

Here follows relevant excerpts from the report issued from Hot Liquid Sailing to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB):

fireball

Visit site
Guys, READ THE PIECE!!!

its says...

Here follows relevant excerpts from the report issued from Hot Liquid Sailing to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB):

It may do now ... but when it first came out it read: (copy and pasted from Judders post)

Here it is...
the following statement has today been issued by Hot Liquid Sailing's Managing Director, Jason Manning.

"On behalf of Hot Liquid Sailing and the skipper and crew of Liquid Vortex, I would first like to express our thanks and gratitude to the RNLI for their assistance.

"For the sake of absolute clarity and balanced reporting, I do however also wish to take this opportunity to outline all the facts of the situation that led to the rescue. Here follows relevant excerpts from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) Report:

Probably just a typo though