Hoses removed from water points

LimL

Visit site
This is from the suggested supplier’s description of the valve.

It is important that prior to purchase you fully understand the implications of a tap with this air gap.
This tap needs to be installed ideally with a pressure and flow restrictor (not supplied) inline before the tap. If flow or pressure in the system is too great or the tap sees back pressure in any situation then the DC Type anti-siphon adaptor will ‘leak’ through the side of the tap. This is normal and is doing what the device is intended to do. It means that whilst the tap has a hose tail fitted to the nozzle, it cannot be connected to any further device that attempts to control the flow further downstream. This unit prevents back pressure being created and therefore eliminates the possibilities of contamination of the water supply.
Use of this product will require the water flow and pressure to be kept to a minimum by the fitting of a pressure/flow reducer upstream of the tap.”

So looks not to be a viable solution for the intended purpose on the river. I suspect they will quickly “disappear” or be “modified” with tape around the barrel.

DogsBody

Visit site
"The backflow prevention devices will considerably reduce the rate at which water is dispensed from the
taps. Please allow additional time to fill containers and bulk water holding tanks. Please also expect an
increase in the amount of waiting time if the facilities are already in use."

With that in mind, can we expect the EA to install extra outlets to help reduce waiting times?

Answer: No of course not, that would imply some thought being given to actually being helpful to your customers and we all know the EA wouldn't even consider something like that - we're not considered customers, merely a source of income. :mad:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It would have been oh do easy as I suggested earlier on in the thread to simple fit two taps to each stand pipe. They reduce the flow so much (I reckon a factor 5 or more) that two taps would both work perfectly well.

Would be useful to lose the silly valve things though !

Parabordi

Visit site
I am sure the valves will be lost very soon, all those liveaboards and narrowboats longer than 7m with stilsons..Just when you thought they couldn't get any more stupid, the EA are the gift that keeps on giving.

Parabordi

Visit site
"The backflow prevention devices will considerably reduce the rate at which water is dispensed from the
taps. Please allow additional time to fill containers and bulk water holding tanks. Please also expect an
increase in the amount of waiting time if the facilities are already in use."

With that in mind, can we expect the EA to install extra outlets to help reduce waiting times?

Answer: No of course not, that would imply some thought being given to actually being helpful to your customers and we all know the EA wouldn't even consider something like that - we're not considered customers, merely a source of income. :mad:
the basic problem is that the system wont work, don't they have a duty of care to us for water? For me, I simply wont be able to get water with a hose less than 7m long.

plumbob

Visit site
the basic problem is that the system wont work, don't they have a duty of care to us for water? For me, I simply wont be able to get water with a hose less than 7m long.
I'm fairly sure the 7 meters quoted is a nominal value only. It's probably fair to say that a longer hose of a food grade type will still be fine as long as it doesn't have any kinks in it. I have always carried a flat hose on a reel which will undoubtedly be no more use as it will have too much resistance to flow. 7 meters, if that's really all that will work without drowning the person using it is useless.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Someone in EA towers seems to be confused by hoses and mooring lines. The 7 metre rule applies to the recommended length for lines when transiting locks.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
3 inch length of bicycle innertube.

This would stop the vent holes but it would not make the tap do much as the valve itself is an obstruction and acts as a flow limiter anyway. Orifice is too narrow.

One of those wide beams which takes twenty minutes to fill up is going to take more than an hour.

I have used the Hurley tap before and after and it is no exxxaggeration to say that the flow rate is a fraction of what it was before. Of course the tap itself will come off but this would mean some plumbing work and probably isn't legal.

They take water contamination pretty seriously at the end of the day.

The Glassman

Visit site
Cleeve Lock's water supply is being 'upgraded' today, apparently. I'll be carrying a couple of 50l water containers on board so that I can use the ordinary taps that are available on some locks. Hate to think what Abingdon service point is going to be like on a summer day!

oldgit

Visit site
The Thames .
You lot always seem to be in such a rush, going somewhere important are we ?

First its the inevitable inter lock GRAND PRIX .
Now its the OMG an extra 10 mins every other day to get fresh water and what about all those awful narrow boat types, who you suspect do not wash very often anyway.
Things to do places to go. :)

1616832694504.png

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
The Thames .
You lot always seem to be in such a rush, going somewhere important are we ?

First its the inevitable inter lock GRAND PRIX .
Now its the OMG an extra 10 mins every other day to get fresh water and what about all those awful narrow boat types, who you suspect do not wash very often anyway.
Things to do places to go. :)

View attachment 112215

oldgit

Visit site

You will be pleased to know our eagerly anticipated excursion to Gods Own Pond is now pencilled in for last week in July.
Will be bringing a very small and very long hose as suggested, and plenty of reading material to idle away those long hours at the watering points.
Am also making up crib list of subjects to bring up with other boaters while waiting. :)

Old Crusty

Visit site
You will be pleased to know our eagerly anticipated excursion to Gods Own Pond is now pencilled in for last week in July.
Will be bringing a very small and very long hose as suggested, and plenty of reading material to idle away those long hours at the watering points.
Am also making up crib list of subjects to bring up with other boaters while waiting. :)

We look forward to seeing you with our usual level of enthusiasm and welcome ?

oldgit

Visit site
Don't forget to book your passage through Hammersmith Bridge - Sundays only. Bring cheque book. credit card, and vaccine certificate and TTNC membership card.
Sundays only ???? ...will need to get out my tide tables. Sounds like a night in St Kats is on the cards in both directions, if Medway style civilised boating hours are to be maintained. ?
Blimey the things people have to do to enjoy the absolute bargain The Thames represents.
....on the other hand a trip up the East coast might be cheaper.

Last edited:

Whitlock

Visit site
We can't wait to meet you.

penfold

Visit site
You fresh water types do have to put up with a lot of nonsense; any marina trying this would rapidly find all its nice brass anti-syphon devices on the seabed or in someone's non-ferrous scrap collection. Has anyone asked the EA why non-return valves can't be fitted if they're clutching their pearls over this vanishingly small risk?

Other threads that may be of interest