Horizontal or Vertical Windlass

rjlourens

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies. Most certainly it'll be an electric one. Which is better: horizontal or vertical? Any recommended make? Happy sailing.

Talulah

Visit site
My advice would be horizantal. The vertical look neater and more compact but the angle at which the chain comes off the windlass is easier to get right on a horizantal windlass.

affinite

Visit site
Moved our boat to the med 3 years ago. We now cruise in Greece where there is lots of stern to mooring and quick lunchtime anchor stops. The new electric windlass has been the best bit of kit added since being there. I found it difficult to find a windlass that would fit my small chain locker but eventually settled on a QUICK horizantal unit that fitted snuggly in place of the old manual windlass, without the need to modify the locker and has so far worked fine.
Only drawback is that there isnt much drop for the chain so a little manual chain stacking is necessary when pulling up anchor.

Talbot

Visit site
depends on the boat, and where the genoa sheets go, and whether you are using an all chain cable , and whether you are happy having a chain gypsy alone, or want a warping drum as well, and finally whether you have space blow deck for the motor, or whether that needs to be above deck as well.

IMHO - The least obtrusive the better (i.e. vertical such as the lofrans airon, although IIRC that has been replaced by a new model like the royal or some such).

and much better to put motor below deck.

ccscott49

Visit site
I like the vertical ones and thats what is going on my boat this year, compact! But as has been said, you need room below the deck for the motor.

FAITIRA

Visit site
Deciding on horizontal or vert, as affinite says the amount of "drop" you have is an important consideration. I have the same prob as Steve, i.e. the chain piles up due to the inadequate fall from the gypsy. We would be better off with a horizontal winch, but the vert Lofrans Airon was on FT when we bought her, a Kobra would probably have been more efficient.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I exchanged a manual horizontal above deck for a vertical electric, and don't regret it a bit. A horizontal windlass above deck attracts genoa sheets on every tack and makes using the spinnaker twice as difficult. I can see that having one in the locker would overcome these problems, in which case it might be better than a vertical.

As others have said, it is important that the fall of chain drops into the deepest part of the locker. I cut the lid of my Sadler in half and mounted the windlass on top of one half, after strengthening. The chain then fell right to the bottom of the locker, although I still sometimes need to clear it if I have my full 50 metres of chain out.

jleaworthy

Visit site
Go for vertical if you have enough space for motor below deck. Advantages: electrical components especially motor and relays well protected, greater wrap round on gypsy so chain less likely to slip, less to obstruct your foredeck. I fitted Lofrans Aeron four years ago and it's been brilliant.