Honda 2 HP- centifugal clutch??

sparkie

Visit site
Hi all, does anyone know approx when Honda brought out the 2hp with the centrifugal clutch and air cooling? I always thought they were all like that, but there's been a couple on Ebay recently that have no twist grip throttle and (I assume) direct drive as they don't appear to have a gear lever. Also were the earlier ones water cooled??

Confused Sparkie

sailorman

Visit site
Hi all, does anyone know approx when Honda brought out the 2hp with the centrifugal clutch and air cooling? I always thought they were all like that, but there's been a couple on Ebay recently that have no twist grip throttle and (I assume) direct drive as they don't appear to have a gear lever. Also were the earlier ones water cooled??

Confused Sparkie

the Honda is a converted lawnmower engine & are air cooled

PetiteFleur

Visit site
The early ones, I have one, has an aircooled head and a watercooled leg - recognised by a more angular cover and no twist grip throttle. Direct drive, throttle on motor and only rated at 2HP.

Csail

N/A
Visit site

Confused Sparkie
no idea but worst engine iv'e ever had so sold it after 8 hrs use.

DownWest

Visit site

Confused Sparkie

Always air cooled and the clutch needs no lever, as it is automatic. Having said that, s from reading, some newer ones do not have the centrifugal clutch. Read a few comments about people not happy with the 'snatchy' effect of the clutch, + the usual four stroke starting grief.

Edit: Tales of rust on the cowling from it's garden origens seem to have been addressed in later models

Last edited:

sparkie

Visit site
Thanks both- what a weird combination! Presumably water cooled leg to deal with exhaust heat??

Are the earlier ones any good? I have a Yamaha 2stroke but would like a 4stroke as my main engine is now a 4 and it's a nuisance carrying two types of fuel.

Leighb

Visit site
I have had a 4 stroke Honda 2.3 HP for some years, it has been totally reliable and always starts 1st or 2nd pull. I don't find the centrifugal clutch a problem, at least you can start the engine and not immediately shoot off at high speed.

Every 2 stroke o/b I have owned was a nightmare to start. Also no need to faff about mixing fuel.

The downside is it is a bit noisy, but nowhere near as bad as a Seagull, and it is heavier than 2 strokes.

DownWest

Visit site
I don't think that Hondas are unreliable, just seem to get up noses.
As for Seagulls, well, The only bad experience was a plug failure that resulted in a 4 mile row. But like all classics love em or hate em.
A

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
Thanks both- what a weird combination! Presumably water cooled leg to deal with exhaust heat??
I think it just relies on immersion to stop the exhaust cooking the gears. You can run it dry in idle. Well I do anyway.
Are the earlier ones any good?
Carb always blocks up in Spring. But then I invariably forget to drain it in the Autumn. Other than that it's never gone wrong and it's 10 years old.

sparkie

Visit site
Thanks for all the above advice and info, think I've got the picture now, they are all air cooled, but with a water cooled leg, which can be run dry, they can be either clutch or direct drive, of whatever age, and they are all either completely naff or OK!

Not quite as confused Sparkie.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Thanks for all the above advice and info, think I've got the picture now, they are all air cooled, but with a water cooled leg, which can be run dry, they can be either clutch or direct drive, of whatever age, and they are all either completely naff or OK!

Not quite correct - as I understand it, ALL later engines with the centrifugal clutch are completely air cooled. (my friend bought one of the first centrifugal clutch units and has now bought the latest model, the previous one fell off the dinghy whilst being towed.....) From memory there were two early models with the air/watercooled engine/exhaust - the earliest had two colour decals and the later had one colour decals.

sailorman

Visit site

the best Honda 2.3 is a Tohatsu 3.3 2 stroke ;)

sparkie

Visit site
prefer the Yamaha 2stroke any day
in fact sold the honda for one...prefer ultra light yam!

Yes my little Yamaha has been completely reliable. Unfortunately I (mistakenly) sold it's 8 hp big brother and it's just a nuisance having to have two types of fuel on board.

sparkie

Visit site
Not quite correct - as I understand it, ALL later engines with the centrifugal clutch are completely air cooled. (my friend bought one of the first centrifugal clutch units and has now bought the latest model, the previous one fell off the dinghy whilst being towed.....) From memory there were two early models with the air/watercooled engine/exhaust - the earliest had two colour decals and the later had one colour decals.

Thanks for the clarification PF.

whisper

Visit site
I have had a 4 stroke Honda 2.3 HP for some years, it has been totally reliable and always starts 1st or 2nd pull.

Every 2 stroke o/b I have owned was a nightmare to start. Also no need to faff about mixing fuel.

but nowhere near as bad as a Seagull, and it is heavier than 2 strokes.

"I don't find the centrifugal clutch a problem, at least you can start the engine and not immediately shoot off at high speed.The downside is it is a bit noisy"

When I apply choke - for cold starting - my engine fires up and we do indeed try to shoot off at high speed. I'd much prefer a F-N gearbox.
Noise is interesting. It definitely has a different / more high pitched / annoying / tone than non aircooled types. At full throttle though I don't think it's any noisier than my Mariner 3.5 4stroke.
It's also been a lot more reliable than the Mariner - especially considering that it's used very irregularly.