holes drilled in fibreglass

duke

Visit site
Hi All,

I recently drilled a couple of 12 m m holes in the cockpit to connect electrics and
antenna to a gps at the wheel.

These went through about 1.5" of fibreglass.
Although the holes are reasonable protected I am concern as to whether I should
"seal" the drilled surface to prevent water getting into the body of the fibreglass.
Any thought as to what I should use?

regards,

Duke.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Strathglass

Visit site
Yes,
You should make the holes slightly oversize and then coat them with epoxy resin to seal the edges and minimise water penitration.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
"These went through about 1.5" of fibreglass."

Are sure it was fibreglass, 1.5 inches is very thick, it sounds more like a composite, perhaps foam filled.

If this is the case I would remove some of the foam from between the fibreglass skins, (A bent hard wire in a drill will do this in no time) fill with resin and fibres then re drill; this will help prevent moisture entering the core material.

I hope this helps. . . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

G

Basic way .....

Rough up all surface inside the holes .... and a little around the outer faces. Generously smear epoxy resin all around keeping it neat on the face where you see it.

Fancy way :

Resin and micro-balloons to make a paste and use that ..... then lightly sand it smooth without breaking through.

Why epoxy ? Polyester attacks foams .... the hole you have cut has no barrier on the foam exposed if foam cored, second it has much longer working time to get a better job done.

It is actually not necessary to remove foam or core material unless it is load bearing etc. The skin you put on will be fine for a number of years ......

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !