HMS Queen Elizabeth

chrisclin

Visit site
According to press reports, the carrier Queen Elizabeth is meant to be on her way to Rosyth to be drydocked. She was reported to be in Glen Mallon Loch Long last week where she was meant to be unloading ammunition and had a bit of a fire. Various press reports say she's now on her way to Rosyth.
HOWEVER, there's no sign of the usual big MODPLOD presence around Port Edgar, and AIS has been reporting her in Portland for the last couple of days.
Anyone know what's happening?

capnsensible

Visit site
According to press reports, the carrier Queen Elizabeth is meant to be on her way to Rosyth to be drydocked. She was reported to be in Glen Mallon Loch Long last week where she was meant to be unloading ammunition and had a bit of a fire. Various press reports say she's now on her way to Rosyth.
HOWEVER, there's no sign of the usual big MODPLOD presence around Port Edgar, and AIS has been reporting her in Portland for the last couple of days.
Anyone know what's happening?
Obey the first pipe. :)

Or in other words, the first bit is correct.

To add to the jazz, the ships company of her sister carrier are currently enjoying the fleshpots of Rotterdam after a period oop north.

Mark-1

Visit site
AIS has been reporting her in Portland for the last couple of days.

I don't think it has. Google gives VesselFinder near the top of the list and that says Portland, but there has been no sign of HMS QE in Portland on Marine Traffic. So I suspect VesselFinder has just been just been wrong all along.

My gut feel is VesselFinder defaults to Portland when the AIS is off to get clicks. (I guess "don't know" generates zero clicks.) It obviously works because I've clicked it a few dozen times. :mad:

Last edited:

Aja

Visit site
Saw her go past Cloch the other day....

Rumour has ot she has a bit of a list.....

chrisclin

Visit site
So you can't trust vessel finder then! Maybe I should have checked with vesselfinderski I bet they knew where she was.
Marine Traffic doesn't show her in the Forth but there is a hazy image in the background from the Port Edgar webcam. There are also a couple of ribs with blue flashing lights shooting round at very high speed so maybe MODPLOD have now arrived.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I've had it on good authority (former colleagues in Northwood) that plans are under consideration to offer to sell her to Australia.
Part of the new UK-AUS defence agreement recently signed.
Possible bone of contention is who will pay for the repairs/refit.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I don't think it has. Google gives VesselFinder near the top of the list and that says Portland, but there has been no sign of HMS QE in Portland on Marine Traffic. So I suspect VesselFinder has just been just been wrong all along.

My gut feel is VesselFinder defaults to Portland when the AIS is off to get clicks. (I guess "don't know" generates zero clicks.) It obviously works because I've clicked it a few dozen times. :mad:
Somebody at Portland posted a picture on LinkedIn of what was actually alongside at Portland and the reported position of R08 on AIS. The RN were clearly telling porkies, saying that HMS Argyll is often broadcasting that it is a yacht!

Getting R08 into Portland would be a major feat of pilotage.

capnsensible

Visit site
Somebody at Portland posted a picture on LinkedIn of what was actually alongside at Portland and the reported position of R08 on AIS. The RN were clearly telling porkies, saying that HMS Argyll is often broadcasting that it is a yacht!

Getting R08 into Portland would be a major feat of pilotage.
Spoofed. :)

Mark-1

Visit site
Somebody at Portland posted a picture on LinkedIn of what was actually alongside at Portland and the reported position of R08 on AIS

I can't see R08 on AIS in Portland Hbr in any source except in the text on Vessel Finder and clicking through shows R08 in Rosyth!

So I'm calling bull dust. There is no AIS transmission for R08 in Portland Harbour and hasn't been all day.

The whole Portland harbour thing is a bug\feature in the Vessel Finder website.