Hiring a car in France

doug748

Visit site
Want to hire a car in Loctudy, Benodet, that sort of thing, this summer. What is best not to get ripped off? National chains? Any recommendations or tips?

Sybarite

Visit site
Whatever you do, read the small print concerning insurance. Many renters thought they were covered by their credit cards and ended up by having to pay for the whole car.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Want to hire a car in Loctudy, Benodet, that sort of thing, this summer. What is best not to get ripped off? National chains? Any recommendations or tips?
We use rentalcars.com.

We do not take any extra insurance and rely on the coverage provided by our premier credit card (and have been in the unfortunate situation to test it as well).
Do read the conditions thoroughly.

You will need a credit card, not a debit card with enough room on it for them to block the deposit amount on it.

They source their cars from different rental firms.

As always, check the car before you take it for any damage however superficial.
We always take loads of photos and do a quick video walk around.

Always take the car back full. Rental car companies charge heavily if you do not.

Davy_S

Visit site
We always use travelsupermarket.com or skyscanner, and we have the £46 a year hire car cover, we have just hired a car in Menorca, minibus waiting for us, at the car in 5 minutes, when we brought it back, they quickly checked it and drove us back to the airport, they did hold a 75 euro deposit for a full tank. company called Record. in spain or canaries, Ccar or autoreisen are the best.

Davy_S

Visit site
Do French car hire firms have an upper age limit?
The majority of car hire companies have an age limit at 75, but you can still get a hire car, but they tend to load the premium because of this, a friend is nearly 80 and he paid an extra 50 euro because of his age, most companies quote up to 65, but up to 75 is ok, skyscanner quotes are up to age 75.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Most supermarkets have a car/van rental service.

Nearest to you would be E.Leclerc in Pont L'Abbe.
I've rented with them a few times - never had a problem.
Cheap daily rate and you pay per km driven.

Location de voitures et véhicules utilitaires en France - Location E.Leclerc

Post code Pont L'Abbe is 29120

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site

colind3782

Visit site
I rent cars in Spain regularly and, consistently, the cheapest comparison is CarJet. I have also found that the prices start high then gradually reduce until about four weeks prior to the rental when they start increasing again. Regarding the earlier post about Gold Car, they used to have a terrible reputation but they seem to have their act together now and I haven't had any problems with them for the last couple of years. I do recommend getting "excess insurance" for about £40 pa. The rental companies don't like it as selling insurance is where their profit lies but they do have to accept it.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Gold Car tried to charge me for a sat nav which I refused and didn't want, they insisted as it was built into the dashboard and couldn't be removed, they would not accept my insurance and theres was twice the price of the car hire fee, this was in Sicily, kin crooks.