Hey pissativlypossed! Bye Bye I'm off to the other side too

cliffdale

Visit site
Well me boat is sold and I'm looking for a nice yacht to buy.

Funnily enough, I'm going to view an Odyssey 37 this weekend.

I'm retiring soon and would like to potter around on the water, something I wouldn't do with a power boat.

If you have any suggestions, I'm looking for a cruising yacht but not too big that I cant sail it single handed.

Cliff

jfm

Visit site

I'm retiring soon and would like to potter around on the water, something I wouldn't do with a power boat.

If you have any suggestions, I'm looking for a cruising yacht but not too big that I cant sail it single handed.

Cliff

Sounds a nice retirement, and very good luck with it. Suggestions: get the biggest you can, and make a yacht that you can't do singlehanded do-able, by adding bowthruster and electric winches etc. AOTBE, a longer/bigger yacht will sail faster than a smaller one, and 8kts is a lot better than 6.5 in a 3knot tide

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk

Cliff

Blimey, they're deserting in droves!

Is that the new 37 or the older 37.1? Both nice boats, good luck!

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi Cliff,

We did the same back in 2009 when we moved to the Med. I actually got a Beneteau 43.3 and can single handedly sail her. Mind you SWMBO will not put down the G&T to help me so I need to be able to singlehand!

Seriously though, most of newer models are built and designed to make single handed sailing easier. We have the majority of power in a furling main and only a 110% Genoa which means with a decent autopilot and all lines led back to the twin steering possitions she can be handled easy on her own.

I still hanker over power but love the cost of a Sail boat. We mainly day sail her so cockpit size and layout was key. Work out how you will use her then buy the boat to match. Lots of choice but fewer bargains than power!

Cheers

Paul

Visit site

Cliff

Have you considered a catamaran ?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Have you considered a catamaran ?

A good call. And I love the idea that a 37 footer is a singlehander; I'm sure it could easily be sailed single handed in moderate weather but in marinas and in a blow it might but quite a handful; sure it's possible but is it a good idea?

Stands back whilst lots of people say how they routinely singelhand a 40+ footer :)

Nautorius

Visit site
A good call. And I love the idea that a 37 footer is a singlehander; I'm sure it could easily be sailed single handed in moderate weather but in marinas and in a blow it might but quite a handful; sure it's possible but is it a good idea?

Stands back whilst lots of people say how they routinely singelhand a 40+ footer :)

Well I find Marinas no problem. It just needs some planning....like all sailing. Work out wind and tide, look at layout, get a plan together, give her some throtle and go for it! Only screwed up one mooring in two years. I have a Bow Thruster that went wrong on day one of ownership and do not use it! Sail boats have keels that make handling easier once you know how. So yes, I dock and set off on my own...and running up 45ft of boat to let off bow lines and get back before being blown off to the next boat takes some timing....

Paul

cliffdale

Visit site
I used to race a sunfizz40 and winching in was back breaking. I would not call it leisurely pottering around.

I always found the yacht easily to manoeuvre in the marina compared with the Targa, especially if there was a side wind.

A cat is not really possible as it will be too tight in my marina spot.

Thanks for your works of encouragement! I will miss the UMPH!!!!!!!

Looking forward to my sloooooowww leisurely days at sea!

Cliff

pissativlypossed

Visit site

Cliff

Nice One, Look forward to seeing you and good luck, wouldn't know about single handed, not something I intend to try.