Here Yare Folks!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Maybe duff radio Colin!
Nuther thing I learnt was that you now have to have a Radar reflector (Does radar count and do you have to switch it on).And a notice to tell folks how to use the radio.
Still not to clear about the passage plans though. Seems you can manage with anything but if you get in trouble. Your done!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

coliholic

Visit site
Consensus seems to be you only need a radar refelctor "if it's practicable" though even the RYA don't know what that means. Actual wording from RYA site is

All ships shall have, if less than 150 grt and if practicable, a radar reflector or other means, to enable detection by ships navigating by radar at both 9 and 3 GHz.

Note: The RYA has asked the Department of Transport and the Local Regions' (DTLR) legal team to clarify 'if practicable'. The DTLR's interpretation seems to be that if it is possible to use a radar reflector on your boat, then you must use one.

Love that term "DTLR's interpretation seems to be". Seems to be? Not, "is" or "will be" but "might be" or "could be". Excellent advice from the RYA then, no fudging the issue here eh?

So as long as you've got one (in the bilge or a cupboard somewhere) 'cos it's not "practicable" to mount one on a non-existing mast or a non existing radar arch, then that'll be OK will it??