Help with Portsmouth Harbour incident

rowanloh

Visit site
Hi All - I hope you can help - particularly those moored around the Portsmouth area. Last weekend Gosport Boat Yard rang me to say that a collision with my moored boat had been witnessed, from aboard the neighboring vessel, but the offending boat did not stop and no contact has been attempted since (that I am aware of at least).
The damage is slightly more than costmetic - to the tune of bent/broken stanchion/s and toe rail/s and fibreglass damage. I would have thought that it was sufficient damage to warrant the offending vessel at least making an attempt at contact. The name of offending boat was SERENE FAIR, a black hulled circa 27ft vessel (similar to a T27). The boat was motoring further up harbour. Port Solent, Portsmouth Marine, Wicor Marine and Trafalgar (chandlers) have been contacted but no one knows of this boat. I am not prejudging anything and appreciate that the other vessel may have been attempting to report the incident or make contact.
I would be grateful for any information about the location/ownership of this boat or advice on who else to contact re enquiries. PMs welcome. Many thanks.

Babylon

Visit site
Really sorry to hear about that.

Some lines of enquiry you might follow:

Contact the main marina groups, they may be able to easily search their databases, either for the boat as a resident or as a visitor?

Part 1 or SSR registered? Contact the registery in Swansea.

Insurance company databases? (Your own insurers might be able to do this?)

Just a simple Google search? (Edit: scotch this route - it just brings up rubbish)

The T27 owner's association? (What exactly is a T27?)

Last edited:

rowanloh

Visit site
Thanks. I am not sure what a T27 is - it was reported to me as that. I believe it is a Thompson T27. I will see if there is a member association.
There are some pics of a T27 here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89285
- but I am not at all sure that the boat is a T27 it was described as 'similar to a T27'. I think the name / colour of the boat is the best identifier in this instance.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
rowanloh,

I really hope you get this sorted satisfactorily; check sailing clubs like Hardway as well.

Years ago a boat made off with my anchor warp, but a little determination and a helpful sailing club secretary got him !

It might pay you to say something like 'Searching 4 yacht Serene Fair, black hull Portsmouth' in a thread title to grab peoples' attention without having to click on the thread.

Good luck.

onesea

Visit site
Not the most honer-able way forward but... ask about the boat but do not mention why...

Initial enquiries I would make without mentioning why. Only bring the reason up once they said they did not know the boat...

Personally I would take the scenic route to and from my boat checking for damage on other local boats particularly black ones regardless of the name.

Also think on any miss readings or spellings that might of happened?

Not really much help my thoughts are with you, you will for ever be hunting black boats looking for evidence :eek:.

Pete7

Visit site
A dark hulled 26ft yacht called Serene did £6500 worth of damage to my rib in July 2003 whilst I was tied up to the fuel pontoon in Gosport. I thought the yacht was a contessa 26, but can't be certain. However, it was an older British design.

Has QHM been informed and could the MOD Police help keep a look out for her.

Pete

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
. . . . . The name of offending boat was SERENE FAIR, a black hulled circa 27ft vessel (similar to a T27). . . . . .

When the witnesses reported it, they might have been foreign or said the name of the yacht as "SERENE" of "FAREHAM" but somehow the words got misreported?

Plenty of vessels called "Serene" on the ITU database. ;)

rowanloh

Visit site
I think that Selene Fair fits the description - I had googled it as advised (thanks A1) and seen the Preston brokerage site. I also believe that this boat was around in the Solent for the RTI Race and so maybe still around. I have some very good leads now (thanks mostly to an inspirational PM) so thanks to all for a great nights work. Some subtle phonecalls for the morning me thinks!