Help! Sailing story

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Need help to find an old book.

I read it nearly 50 years ago, it is a sailing story involving spying.
I recall the first part clearly when it describes a small wooden sailing boat off Clacton pier, then goes on with the trip to the Baltic, remember no more of the story, no author, etc!

Really want to trace it, any help much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!

Rustyknight

Visit site
Sounds a little like "The riddle of the sands" by Erskine Childers....... though I may be wrong.

Google it and see what comes up.

machurley22

Visit site
I initially thought the same except that none of the sailing action takes place in the UK IIRC.

How about The Falcon on the Baltic by E F Knight available online here although there's no spying involved.

Rustyknight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
none of the sailing action takes place in the UK IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

That was something I wasn't sure about, as it's been good few years since I read the book..... and that was one I borrowed from a library, rather than one in my bookcase I could have peeked at.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Thank you kind sir, and MacHurley for your help.
Certainly not Riddle of the Sands, I have re read that so often, and have the video, and "The Riddle" dealing with the background and Erskine Childers.

I read parts of the Falcon, but not the one!

I have such a clear memory of him (in the one I read at the age of 8 or 9, remember we had books and radios then!) mooring off Clacton pier (we lived nearby at the time), and the voyage to the Baltic, but I have never been able to recall names (hoping the stroke will cure that!), should I trace it, and I am now racking my brain and the net, will let you know. Again, thanks for your help.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Further note to say thank you for the intro to this book, very much the age of "Riddle of the Sands", much more detail of the places he passes through, lovely, detailed and reflective writing!

Well, this will keep me quiet for a while!

Again, thanks.

phanakapan

Visit site
Thankyou, Machurley22, for the link- a treasure trove of fantastic books to read online.
I'm currently reading both the Falcon in the Baltic, and Mahalah- what a character she is! I have only heard of Baring-Gould in his hymn writing context before, so Mahalah is quite a revelation.