Help please!?

jon and michie

Visit site
Yes I said “ drives “. What’s your point and advice for him ?

Its dead easy too keeping outdrives centred .I know having owned one for 9 yrs .I never used the wheel .Stern to Med so plenty of tight 90 degree turns down aisles then another into berths in all sorts of winds .

Dicking around with the wheel and attempting vectoring as a newbie just complicates it unnecessarily .

Learn the basics first get fully au fait with the centred wheel method is my advice.
we went on a friend's boat at the start of the season - we have a single without bow thruster - he has twin outdrives a bow thruster and the difference was night and day and without using the wheel.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
When you get a new boat there are always handling peculiarities to get used to. I am normally in flappy sail boats and normally the old, difficult to steer, long keel variety that tend to continue in a straight line irrespective of where you intend it to go. When we got a new boat with fin keel that should steer much easier our problem was that the additional maneuverability can lead to over corrections and she blows sideways much more readily. We had a couple of awkward moments in marinas. But, then you get used to it. You adapt and adjust. Practice makes perfect (or if not perfect at least better). Fenders are your friend.

Greg2

Visit site
For years I followed the ‘leave the wheel centred‘ with outdrives advice…..then I figured that directional thrust might be quite helpful and it turned out that it was!

I don’t disagree that for someone completely new to such a set up there is merit in seeing what you can achieve with engines alone without the complication of thinking about where the drives are pointing when you apply power but sometimes needs must.

It is relevant to note that there can be a huge difference in handling characteristics on boats with what appears to be the same set up. Our Princes 32 (twin outdrives) and Fairline Targa 35 (twin outdrives and same hull as the OP’s boat) were a bit of a pig to handle at close quarters but our S34 and a mate’s Princes 285 were an absolute dream. In fact my mate privately thought I was just rubbish at boat handling on the Targa until he took the helm and tried to put it into a finger berth.

Another mate has twin outdrives with single props and he never uses the wheel but then he has the ‘paddlewheel‘ effect, which you don’t get with duoprops.

PlanB

Visit site
There's your problem right there. What you need is your wife to crew when docking. After a few goes I promise you will learn to relax and drive like a pro.
An make sure your wife becomes as competent as you at boat handling, and you can handle the ropes. You never know when you may be suddenly incapacitated. And in adverse weather, if your wife can helm, you will have more strength to hold the boat on a line ashore.

Bouba

Visit site
A make sure your wife becomes as competent as you at boat handling, and you can handle the ropes. You never know when you may be suddenly incapacitated. And in adverse weather, if your wife can helm, you will have more strength to hold the boat on a line ashore.
Yes…who ever your crew is you have be like a two man tag team.
Before entering port have a think about the conditions and discuss this with the crew…but whoever is at the helm has the final say…the wife understands this and I don’t get a telling off until the engine is turned off.
At all times stay in communication and nobody is allowed to jump off without the consent of the helmsman

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
For years I followed the ‘leave the wheel centred‘ with outdrives advice…..then I figured that directional thrust might be quite helpful and it turned out that it was!

I don’t disagree that for someone completely new to such a set up there is merit in seeing what you can achieve with engines alone without the complication of thinking about where the drives are pointing when you apply power but sometimes needs must.
Outdrives are too far back and often too close together to allow effective positioning and rotation without the wheel.

The best instructors (e.g. Mendez Marine) teach beginners to use the wheel on an outdrive powered boat. And why wouldn't you want to point the drives in the direction that you want the stern of the boat to go? It's an absolute no-brainer.

Once you work out how to use the wheel to position the stern then it's simple to learn to use the bow-thruster to position the bow.

Bouba

Visit site
I sense the OP getting more and more confused as everyone argues over the best way to handle a boat

Portofino

Visit site
Outdrives are too far back and often too close together to allow effective positioning and rotation without the wheel.

The best instructors (e.g. Mendez Marine) teach beginners to use the wheel on an outdrive powered boat. And why wouldn't you want to point the drives in the direction that you want the stern of the boat to go? It's an absolute no-brainer.

Once you work out how to use the wheel to position the stern then it's simple to learn to use the bow-thruster to position the bow.
I will go potentially an antagonistic few step further .

To Pete only if you get it waaay out of shape in some last chance salon of recovering the situation = start using the wheel .
From personal experience my instructor back in 2005 ( sent by SSkr ) taught me never to use the wheel .

Further more with knife in hand “pressing it in and twisting “ 😀…..One yr my bow thruster , you know those crappy VP BP s electric leaked its seals and bust it’s crappy designed gearbox very early on say May .
Same guy told me “ it’s all in your head a matter of confidence you don’t really need it “
The issue of repair was on many levels - none availability of the part on one hand and having it lifted + yard to fix on the other .So we left it all the way until the following yrs annual 10 months without a thruster .

Guess what ? Er he was absolutely right .
Sure a bit freeky entering a windy marina ( esp a new one unkown ) and only having sticks …..but they work on duo propped outdrives *

I don,t think you ever loose that sticks only skill or the ability to hover a helicopter , pull loooong wheelies on a motorbike , do a 360 spin on a snow board and land it and carry on as if nothing happened… etc etc - once you (more like your brain ) gets it !

Worth the effort very early to get that skill .Twin sticks , twin duo prop .

* BTW is do not buy into the outdrive “ close together arguments ” on certain set ups .Think about it VP engines are all the same width and have more / less the same gap between them .The legs stick out inline with the crank .
If there are any difference in leg apart geo it’s mm .So tiny to be insignificant.
You can easily with a twin set up and the regulation VP distance apart torque / turn a hull with one Fwd and t, other in rev .

How do you think IPS works ? They don‘t instal the pods the max distance apart in the hulls do they .

Last edited:

Jon4468

Visit site
Just remember that slow is pro. Maybe get a wind direction flag fitted to your forward handrail so that you can see the wind direction which will help whilst mooring. Also before you enter the marina take a look at bouys etc near by and note which direction the water is flowing. This combined with the wind direction indicator will allow you to judge your angle of attack on your mooring. Once you've done it a few times at different states of tide you'll be doing it single handed.
It's good that you are not scared to ask for help, as we all need to learn from somewhere!!
How about if you actually leave the pontoon with ropes untied and everything?

penfold

Visit site

To Pete only if you get it waaay out of shape in some last chance salon of recovering the situation = start using the wheel .
From personal experience my instructor back in 2005 ( sent by SSkr ) taught me never to use the wheel .
If it's waaay out of shape stop, pull away from the dock and start again. Like landing a plane, when an approach turns bad don't keep going out of pride or stubbornness.

benjenbav

Visit site
As someone said - waaay ⬆️ - the best thing would be to hire an instructor for a day’s own-boat training. Getting the feel for what THIS boat does and what it can do would have the OP docking like Captain Ron.

…maybe not quite. 😁

Visit site
38ft X 8ft Dutch Barge Mooring Challenge!

Hello everyone!

My pattern partner and I are new to boating and have decided to enter the fun and challenging lifestyle just before winter! Wooo!....Brrrrrr......

We have chosen a 38ft X 8ft Dutch Barge named Waterlelie (Water lily by translation of course!)

We are aware that our home county being Oxfordshire, would restrict us to the Thames (not canals of course)

We are hoping that we can reach out to the community for some advice on mooring but also to ask if anyone knows of any available moorings - Private/Residential, short term, but ideal mid-term and ultimately long term, but as you all know; Waiting lists are long 🥲

Our ideal area would be somewhere between Wallingford and Farringdon.

Any help or advice will be very appreciated!

Will and Jen

colhel

Visit site
38ft X 8ft Dutch Barge Mooring Challenge!

Hello everyone!

My pattern partner and I are new to boating and have decided to enter the fun and challenging lifestyle just before winter! Wooo!....Brrrrrr......

We have chosen a 38ft X 8ft Dutch Barge named Waterlelie (Water lily by translation of course!)

We are aware that our home county being Oxfordshire, would restrict us to the Thames (not canals of course)

We are hoping that we can reach out to the community for some advice on mooring but also to ask if anyone knows of any available moorings - Private/Residential, short term, but ideal mid-term and ultimately long term, but as you all know; Waiting lists are long 🥲

Our ideal area would be somewhere between Wallingford and Farringdon.

Any help or advice will be very appreciated!

Will and Jen
Welcome to forum!
You're post won't be seen by the people that can offer the best advice. I suggest starting a new thread on the Thames sub forum (link below)
Good luck! 🙂
The Thames Forum

bluetooth

Visit site

Further more with knife in hand “pressing it in and twisting “ 😀…..One yr my bow thruster , you know those crappy VP BP s electric leaked its seals and bust it’s crappy designed gearbox very early on say May .
Same guy told me “ it’s all in your head a matter of confidence you don’t really need it “
The issue of repair was on many levels - none availability of the part on one hand and having it lifted + yard to fix on the other .So we left it all the way until the following yrs annual 10 months without a thruster .

Guess what ? Er he was absolutely right .
Sure a bit freeky entering a windy marina ( esp a new one unkown ) and only having sticks …..but they work on duo propped outdrives *

I don,t think you ever loose that sticks only skill or the ability to hover a helicopter , pull loooong wheelies on a motorbike , do a 360 spin on a snow board and land it and carry on as if nothing happened… etc etc - once you (more like your brain ) gets it !

Worth the effort very early to get that skill .Twin sticks , twin duo prop .

* BTW is do not buy into the outdrive “ close together arguments ” on certain set ups .Think about it VP engines are all the same width and have more / less the same gap between them .The legs stick out inline with the crank .
If there are any difference in leg apart geo it’s mm .So tiny to be insignificant.
You can easily with a twin set up and the regulation VP distance apart torque / turn a hull with one Fwd and t, other in rev .

How do you think IPS works ? They don‘t instal the pods the max distance apart in the hulls do they .
Mmm
My old Fairline Targa 34 was rubbish at turning on the sticks. T40 is very easy. The legs are wider apart. Point - you are making generalisations. Some boats will behave differently.

John100156

Visit site
Agree, when I had my T34 it was definitely wheel and then power, once you get use to it, you can slot it in anywhere, even in strong wind/tide. If you have bought a boat with a bow thruster then use it! It makes it even easier (I just don't get this don't use your BT nonsense).

When I did my Day Skipper many, many years ago in Gibraltar in February, the boat did not have a BT working, so its good practice not to use it from time-to-time IMHO.

My current and last boat have/had shafts so with props further apart centre the wheel and just using the throttles works best. I also make sure the trim tabs are fully up and just do things nice and slow, unless its particularly windy, then sometimes you just need to get the back in the hole a little faster....!

BB1

Visit site
Evening all, I’ve just picked up my new boat, a 35.5ft fairline targa. I’ve sailed on and off for a few years but only in coastal waters really whilst fishing etc.

Anyways I’ve bought a mooring at a local marina and there is where my issues start…. I bought the boat on Friday, took it out for a cruise up the great Ouse and loved every minute, until I returned to moor, it took me 3 attempts just to get into the marina! Then a lot of swearing and brown marks in my underwear before we safely moored. Yesterday myself and a friend went out for a couple hours, when returning the wind was strong(slight excuse) and it was to be bluntly honest, terrifying trying to moor up.

My main issue is my confidence I’m sure but it’s also my lack of skill, particularly with a boat this big after only ever sailing little dory boats or day sailers. The boat has twin Volvo penta endings with a bow thruster but for the life of me I can’t practice enough to get into my mooring. I’m now looking for someone to come spend some time with me on my boat to train me, I understand there are courses etc but I just want some 1-1 before I go ahead and start looking at everything else. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, Mike

I’m in Ely, Cambridgeshire btw
Outdrives or shafts, are the hand controls nice and smooth?