HELP PLEASE: Boat/Ship Wheels

birch1983

Visit site
Hi,

I am new to the forum and have no knowledge of boats/ships whatsoever.

A little while back a family member passed away and I have been left with a number of boat/ship wheels. Picture of one below:

IMAG0046.jpg

This is the largest of the three and measures approximately 3' in diameter. In the centre it has a brass hub which measures approx 5" in diameter, with a 1" centre hole that has a small cut out for mounting.

I have tried to sell this wheel on ebay but have had no joy so wondered if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction to sell these or give me an estimate on value. The other wheels I have are smaller in size but are all manufactured with what seems to be the same timber.

Offers will be considered if anyone is interested in these. I can also post additional pictures if requested.

Thanks

Anthony

SHUG

Visit site
Put them in the "For Sale" section of this Forum.
Nice picture . I feel that the wheels should have names!!! (like Joshua, Bernard, Robin etc...)

birch1983

Visit site
I have popped a thread in there. Didn't notice it until after posting this as I am new to the forum.

Any further advice on other places where I may sell these?

birch1983

Visit site
As far as I am aware they have all been purchased individually and that one of them was actually from a friends boat.

birch1983

Visit site
They do look similar but as I said I know one was previously from a boat. Nauticalia are advertised for ornamental use only. When you look closer at them too the quality of the Nauticalia ones compared to the ones pictures seems much lower.

birch1983

Visit site
For the small one?

If anyone is interested in these I am open to sensible offers . Ultimately I would like to sell them as a set. Thanks for all your help so far.

birch1983

Visit site
PM me an offer if you are interested in one of them.

All I am looking to do is sell them to make sufficient money to purchase a quality bench to pitch at my Uncles favourite fishing lake. I have no use for them so would much rather do this than hold onto them.

Gordonmc

Visit site
It might be an idea to accurately measure the "mounting holes" to see if they would fit normal tapered shafts. From the pics they all look like they have slots for woodruff keys.
You need to provide the holes' fore diameter, aft diameter and the distance between fore and aft boss faces. From that the taper can be worked out.
I would be interested in one of them if I thought it would fit a standard Vetus tapered shaft.

birch1983

Visit site
If it helps the brass section is approx 5" in diameter. The centre hole is approximately 1" in diameter and the keyway takes this measurement up to 1 1/4".

Is it likely the centre hole is smaller to one side of the wheel?
Would you need any more measurements?

Like I said in the initial post I really have no knowledge of this area.

Thanks

birch1983

Visit site
As I said earlier in this thread I am aware that one has been removed from a boat and the others have been collected over time. It is a little tricky to determine anything about them when I have no knowledge of boats/ships and the person they came from is no longer alive. Hence I am looking for help in identifying them and selling them. I can assure you though they were not purchased from Nauticalia though!

perhaps it might be prudent to check whether these are proper ships' wheels, capable of taking the torque of steering, or whether they are for decoration only.

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/furnishing/decor/ships'_wheels/7133.html