Help!! "P" bracket bazookerd!!!!

Alpha22

Visit site
I appear to have bent my "P" bracket. Must have hit something sometime...... Prop not bent and no vibration!!!

As you can see from the pic, the p bracket is bent to port.

I hope to remove it and take to Clements Marine.. (They are local).... is it possible, in the hands of an expert, to straighten such things???
Hopefully they will be able to check the shaft.. and deal with.

Outside there are 4 BIG screw heads holding the bracket to the hull, inside just bumps under the GRP. What should I expect to find under the GRP bumps??? Some big nuts and a bonded in plate????

Incidentally the boat is a Freeman 32.....

25448528923_60ac4b882f.jpg

]
25448524403_2642e24432.jpg

Any ideas? Suggestions (useful please!!)

kashurst

Visit site
at the risk of sounding daft - no vibration, runs smoothly are you sure it isn't supposed to be that shape? having grounded and hit a few things over the years I have never come across a bent P bracket. I would be amazed if you hit something hard enough to bend the P bracket but not trash the prop. The slightest ding/bend in the shaft will be noticeable vibration.

Shafts don't usually line up exactly with the rudder - otherwise you wouldn't be able to get them out without taking off the rudder etc.
If it is bent - yes its nuts and bolts and shimming compound so you can probably get it all apart but may need some experienced help in re-aligning it all. If its brass/bronze it can be straightened up again.

What does the other side look like?

Last edited:

Alpha22

Visit site
It is certainly bent... the shaft is grinding is self away on the edge of the slot in the bottom of the hull!! Ouch!!

The other side is straight as a die too.... and the prop nut lines up exactly with the rudder on the other side.

Re-allingment is hopefully not too much of a problem as the shaft terminates in a thrust bearing and then has a second prop shaft with two universal joints before connecting to the gearbox. I think it is only because of this setup that it still works without complaint.

kashurst

Visit site
extraordinary - either good luck or bad not sure for the prop/shaft to have escaped visible damage. Give clements a call and see if they know who made the originals - try teighnbridge propellers too. Unlikely but check out your anode bonding too just in case it has de- zinced and gone soft.

Last edited:

Alpha22

Visit site
Props are not original to the boat.... probably only 10 years old... would have been 3 blade originally, now 4 blade.
The P brackets were cast for Freeman's in the 19070's to their patterns, I am lead to believe. Sheridan marine have the original patterns, but would like to go down the straightening route before having to talk to the bank manager!!!!!

alb40

Visit site
I bent a rudder on my old freeman 22 and got a new bronze replacement from Sheridan Marine off the shelf. Would be worth a call if you can't straighten it, the rudder was reasonably priced from them.

Latestarter1

Visit site
I appear to have bent my "P" bracket. Must have hit something sometime...... Prop not bent and no vibration!!!

As you can see from the pic, the p bracket is bent to port.

I hope to remove it and take to Clements Marine.. (They are local).... is it possible, in the hands of an expert, to straighten such things???
Hopefully they will be able to check the shaft.. and deal with.

Outside there are 4 BIG screw heads holding the bracket to the hull, inside just bumps under the GRP. What should I expect to find under the GRP bumps??? Some big nuts and a bonded in plate????

Incidentally the boat is a Freeman 32.....

25448528923_60ac4b882f.jpg

]
25448524403_2642e24432.jpg

Any ideas? Suggestions (useful please!!)

Freeman P bracket will be quality bronze, used to see this quite frequently on the Thames when stern line was dropped and fouled prop can wind the P bracket over real quick.

Be brave, have a heavy steel fork welded up which is snug around the boss and extends to just below the bend. Gently lever the bracket back, the strut should take it as bronze is very forgiving.

Trust me I have done this more than a few times when young and fit anyway you have nothing to loose.........

Alpha22

Visit site
Now I have the paint off the bracket... there are about 4 splits in the bronze on the outside of the bend..... I fear that any "adjustment' back into line, either hot or cold will not be successful.... certain ally there will be a weakness that I couldn't live with.

I've spoken to a few learned folk... all said it has to be replaced. Andrew at Sheridan can have one cast from original patterns. But of course there were different versions..... so until he has it in his hand........!!!!

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I'd have thought your insurance would cover this, as it must have been caused by either an impact, or something wrapped around the prop. I'd ring them before committing to any expense.

Alpha22

Visit site
I'd have thought your insurance would cover this, as it must have been caused by either an impact, or something wrapped around the prop. I'd ring them before committing to any expense.

Sound words..... I intend to speak to them as soon as they return to their office!!!!