Help identifying this sort of metal

Crinan12

Visit site
Hi
Can someone please tell me what sort of metal this is?
The reason i ask is because I've been wanting to get my rotten companionway hatch frame replaced and was thinking of using something like what is in the photo rather than wood for the new one.

I just need to know what i am searching for.

Thanks

Attachments

• Resizer_16838020834541.jpeg
    Resizer_16838020834541.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 119

Crinan12

Visit site
Yeah that's a good idea actually thanks, i could possibly just do away with the frame on the front completely - although i might still need something to conceal the fibreglass behind the old timber frame, possibly full of screw holes etc

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
They look quite shiny, so are quite likely to be stainless. Personally I think insisting on 316 is OTT for the duty but there may not be a huge price markup over 304. My very similar slides are aluminium, for both horizontal and vertical. 40 years old now and still perfectly OK.

ean_p

Visit site
They look quite shiny, so are quite likely to be stainless. Personally I think insisting on 316 is OTT for the duty but there may not be a huge price markup over 304. My very similar slides are aluminium, for both horizontal and vertical. 40 years old now and still perfectly OK.
Yes and so are mine........

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Try using some Brasso. It should remove all the corrosion and leave a polished shiny surface.
Er.. been there, tried that. It's not corrosion so much as tarnish of the now unfinished stock as the finish has been worn away (probably by brasso) over their lifetime.
It's the same colour and patina as my 50 year old winches. I may take a wire wheel to them but I'd rather just have them chrome plated if it's doable as I've got some shiny stainless Andersen Winches on the way to replace the lewmars and I would like everything to match if possible.
Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 00.27.20.png