Help. Brundell to Lowestoft

Leighb

Visit site
Yes, they do require you to call before moving, some quite large ships come and go, and you cannot see them when inside.
Presume you are joking saying “just turn right for the Mudway”!! There are quite a few bits of shallow water scattered around worth avoiding.?

Slowboat35

Visit site
Boat now in Lowestoft waiting for an F1 moderating.
Do you need to call Ch 14 to exit .
Presume just go out and turn right for the Mudway.
Am I alone in wondering if such banal questions as these and those of the river routeing have to be asked for such a simple trip whether the required planning has been done (self-evidently, it appears it hasn't) or whether experience levels are sufficient...
Not having a dig at the OP in the least, just being familiar with the Brundall Motor Boat Squadron in action alarm bells are ringing...

alandalus11

Visit site
Slowboat, I was thinking the same. It does show that there are some very ill prepared people who will simply attempt a passage with no planning and no idea of what they are doing. The questions asked are very basic ones that could be found in a pilotage book if they could be bothered to look it up. I would like to think he was joking about 'just turning right for the Medway' :eek::eek:

Leighb

Visit site
The “just turn right” remark reminds me of an incident at Woolverstone many moons ago. Spring time, Bruce and I were fitting out our wooden one designs by the caravans and we noticed a couple of chaps who were hitching up a ski boat that had been for sale for a while on the access road. We wandered down to see if they were kosher. We were assured that they had just bought it and planned to take it to Southend, they said “ it ain’t far is it? We just go down the river and turn right!!“ We pointed out that they would end up in Manningttree or possibly Hamford Water and suggested that it would be much better and probably cheaper to leave it attached to the car and tow it home. Thankfully they took our advice.

Slowboat35

Visit site
It simply beggars belief that anyone with such a large mobo woud need (dare?) to ask for such basic, elementary advice on how to get from Brundall to Lowestoft on a deep and utterly hazard-free river! Surely anyone needing to ask such fundamental questions should not be on the water at all, not even on a pedalo? I do acknowledge the usual level of 'competence' of the Brundall Motor Boat Squadron but this seems extreme even for them.

How can anyone planning this be unaware of how to contact Lowestoft Harbour or how to request a bridge, let alone needing to wait for a "F1 moderating...." be anythng but a statistic waiting to happen?

As for "Just turn left?" After being unable to navigate the bloody Yare and Waveney without detailed internet help????

OP, please, advise your 'friend' to take good advice (to stay put/get a competent skipper ) or else alert the RNLI in advance, will you?

Before someone's life gets hazarded?

This is nuts!

I don't mean to sound contentious but this seems to me to be a disaster in the making.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Appreciation for all the concern but to reassure everyone, do have an 1967 AA book on board. plus phrase book should we ,God forbid, collide with Essex.:)
This is a back up up to our passage plans on
1x Raymarine chartplotter.
1 x Laptop with Seaclear.
2 x cellular Ipads.
1 x very sharp pencil
1 x back up pencil
1 x Copy of ECP. Some of the content from a trip out with one of the authors.
Several ECP dowmloads. (Laminated)
Easytide predictions for going behind the windfarm (laminated)
Latest weather forecast. ( not laminated)
Some newly purchased very up to date and expensive charts for the trip.

Some brand new lifjackets
A canister liferaft.
Assorted radios.

The crew are three old buggars who have no intention of troubling the RNLI, very embarrassing , or being the subject of this forum for years to come. :)
Before you ask...
We will not die of dehydration either.

alandalus11

Visit site
Just a bit of advice. Perhaps the OP and his 'Old Buggers' as he calls them, would take a course in navigation from the RYA and some boat handling skills before they set out to the open sea. This just emphasises the point that anyone can buy a boat with no qualifications and put their lives and those of the rescue services at risk. What's the name of the boat so that if your 'Old Buggers' ever come into my marina I can make sure I move my boat.

PeterWright

Visit site
Appreciation for all the concern but to reassure everyone, do have an 1967 AA book on board. plus phrase book should we ,God forbid, collide with Essex.:)
This is a back up up to our passage plans on
1x Raymarine chartplotter.
1 x Laptop with Seaclear.
2 x cellular Ipads.
1 x very sharp pencil
1 x back up pencil
1 x Copy of ECP. Some of the content from a trip out with one of the authors.
Several ECP dowmloads. (Laminated)
Easytide predictions for going behind the windfarm (laminated)
Latest weather forecast. ( not laminated)
Some newly purchased very up to date and expensive charts for the trip.

Some brand new lifjackets
A canister liferaft.
Assorted radios.

The crew are three old buggars who have no intention of troubling the RNLI, very embarrassing , or being the subject of this forum for years to come. :)
Before you ask...
We will not die of dehydration either.

I love a good wind up merchant. Seems thise who took you seriously didn't take into consideration your previous long term contributions on this site.

Other threads that may be of interest