Helming with twin outdrives (got the basics) any tips?

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Ref my recent purchase (Sunseeker 34) on outdrives and no bowthruster.
Though this is my first twin engine boat it is actually my ninth boat (all previous o/b or single i/b)and whilst I believe I have got the manouvering concept firmly fixed in my mind, are there any hints or tips you can give me that will help with my twins inexperience?
Thanks
Rob

DAVIDO

Visit site
I was advised to use throttles only to manouver until confident and it worked a treat. If anything found it easier than one engine.

Sneds

Visit site
Yep, don't practice next to my boat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though I made the transition last year and could never go back to single engine. It is so much easier, just remember "steer then gear"

Mr Googler

Visit site
Its the old classic that applies here.

Turn the wheel before going into gear. That way the props are pointing the right way and you dont build up speed before turning etc.
Use nudges as with all drive types.
When you get confident you can use the "wrong engine" to turn less acutely. Could do with a diagram but I will try to explain in words!!!
If you are reversing away from a berth you would want to get the bow in the create an angle then reverse away so if you steer away from the pontoon and reverse with inside engine the bow will come in quite sharply. If on the other hand you use the outside engine you will bring the bow in a bit but also move somewhat sideways.
Im not very good at explaining so hope it makes sense. The only other thing which is paramount is the wind. Your sqeaker like many others is highsided and and low draft so the wind gets hold no problem. Out drives move the turning point of the boat even further back especially in reverse so beware of getting locked on the wind.
I hope this helps and sorry if all I have done is confuse!!!

DAKA

Visit site
Outdrives lift the bow clear of the water , this makes for an uncontrollable bow in a side wind.

Damage by impact is inevitable but you can minimise damage to your own craft

Large Danforth Anchor to protect your bow.
Crew trained to know exactly how to react

" ITS ALRIGHT, THE FENDER HAS GOT IT "
Anyone watching looses interest with that magic phrase but ....

Thats code for , oh shucks there are white flakes of gel coat and fibreglass floating everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MapisM

Visit site
I'd suggest to use a pinch of salt when applying the "twin engines" logic of maneuvering to outdrives.
In fact, those instructions are normally referred to twin shafts boats, which are far more maneuverable that twin outdrives.
If you are comfortable with singles, the easier and safer way to approach a twin outboards is to maneuver her exactly in the same way as you're already used to with singles.
Just use both throttles always together, and steering wheel as you already know.
Sure, there are smarter ways to exploit the two screws, but that's normally good enough, to start with.

dkm

Visit site
best advise I got:
use the throttles as if they were handlebars on a bike, try it and you'll see what I mean
steer first before engaging gear
a little and often is best, just nudge into and straight out of gear, take time, and relax

BartW

www.amptec.be
a very basic but good advice I read on here from a forumate (sorry forgot who it was):
Imagine a circle over the throttles, So: pushing the S trottle forward makes the bow going forward to P,
pushing the left S throttle backwords makes the boat going backwords, stern to P , etc.....
gradually you get experience, where the pivot point is in each situation, and gradually you can add turning of the steering wheel to do even more complicated movements. It worked for me. Now I can do very precise moorings or much more difficult movements with the twin outdrive compared to the single a year ago, even with some wind /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Doods

Visit site
Rob
Congrats on the new boat. I moved up to twins earlier this year. God did it make me think at first. Must agree with the points already made from the experts. Cant say how important "STEER then GEAR" really is. Even a small amount of power when aimed the wrong way cocks up a simple move. I had a day and half of training for the close up work, and then loads of practice just in and out the berth at first, still not perfect but now not affraid to go out in a bit of a breeze ????. Made a fantastic cock up on one early solo attempt but had loads of fenders out. (Fenders are your friends, GRP=Grief).. Best advice I can give is always have a plan "B" if you cant do what you had planned eg have an escape route, take as long as you want to do it and if its not going well get out take five and then plan again. If you dont want to pay for training get a local with experiance to sit with you and buy him a beer, loads of peeps are really good like this.
Have fun

oldgit

Visit site
No subsitute for experience and fenders.Just use the boat as much as you can and if possible get in as many tight corners and difficult to get into/out of spots as you can find.
This is why of course 99% of river/canal users are 100% better at handling their boats than most coastal based "Point and WOT" types , to whom getting in and out of their berth represents a major challenge.
A weekend on the Thames doing a lock or two over any bank holiday would soon sharpen up their skills. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RogerRat

Visit site
She may have twin outdrives but they vary in ability to reverse and turn on throttles only. They all differ in windage and lateral resistance too. Your new boat has twin drives that are quite close together so the throttle idea is not the best, or atleast on its own.

Best advice I can give you is to spend some time with a power boat instructor, you know it makes sense and you WILL learn something! I promise you.

Enjoy it and don't spend months being scared of it like me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Have an ecape route and plan B.

Thats the best advice I've heard on here in a long time. Get out trouble before the trouble arrives.

I'm not commenting on the handling, theres always some one with a far more complicated aproch to muddify the waters.

Coupe

Visit site
I agree with Roger Rat - get 1/2 day tuition.

I did this with all previous boats and it is so worth the few quid.

Also, maybe consider installing a bowthruster at some stage. Not vital but nice to have from time to time /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Greg2

Visit site
Find a bit of space in the marina/dock and have a play with the engines, leaving the wheel alone and the drives steering dead ahead. Nudges in and out of gear are the key for close quarters manouvering and playing around will give you an idea how responsive the boat is without steering.

I rarely touch the steering when berthing and only use it when I want a bit of directional thrust.

I moved from twin shafts to twin outdrives and it was like learning all over again but the same principles can be applied - even though the drives are close together you can turn the boat using just engine power.

Beware the wind on the bow though....you will lose it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[2068]

Visit site
Not trouble, if using just throttles on his outdrive boat works for him, then fine.

But with some boats where the drives are close, and the boat is long and pointy, it's much easier to use the directional thrust of the outdrives to kick the back end around a bit as well as using the throttles.

Mike21

Visit site
If single props on outdrives, then it's possible to maneuver using drives only, if duoprops you will need to use a lot off power if using drives only, as there is very little prop kick.
Best is steer first then use only outside engine engage gear, take it slow. use minimum power .Would not recommend using both engines together as too much power and you will end up going to fast
Bow on outdrives tend to be a bit light and prone to catching wind.
Pivot point off outdrives is somewhere towards back of boat, so if bow tending to go with wind, if going forward, try steering then appling a short burst of power in reverse to force bow back round, works other way round as well
Best would be to get a calm day and go find somewhere to play to get an idea off how the boat reacts or get an instructor for the day