Headsheet pulley replacement?

Wardy

Visit site
The headsheet pulleys, the ones on the track either side of my boat are brittle; that should read... one of them was brittle, it's in little bits now!
The boat is a Westerly Konsort and being as they've been in place since 1983, I can't say I'm surprised that they need replacing.
So... Can you replace just the pulleys or do I have to buy complete pulley car arrangements? And, how do the pulleys come apart from the cars?

I hope the technical lingo is correct, but i think you'll get my drift even if it's not.

Cheers

Steve

sailorman

Visit site
Genoa "Cars" r the parts that slide along the tracks fitted to the side decks.
suggest u replace the cars both sides & keep the existing good one as a spare.
just measure the width of the track ( prob 1") for your boat.
whilsr your at it fit the "towed type" you can adjust the car position from the cockpit
each time u trim sail

William_H

Visit site
Headsail pulleys come in various forms. Some like my boat are a simple single block attached to the car by a shackle or similar with a spring around the shackle to hold it vertical off the deck. Some types are really low profile with a smaller wider pulley almost a roller. i magine you wouldn't ask about the first type and unfortunately I have no experience with the latter type.
The pulley is made close to the deck to have the same effect as a longer track further aft for the largest headsail but more importantly to bring the sheet lead as low as possible when approaching the sheet winch. if it is too high you get overides.
Having said that I encourage youu to try to remove the sheave or roller and replace just that as an entire new car would be worth as much as a poor man's boat. If you can find suitable material then the sheave can be turned down from stock fairly easily by a machinist. My sheaves the former type have been replaced at least 3 times in 25 years. olewill

Other threads that may be of interest