Heads up, "Britain by Boat"

James_Calvert

Visit site
We enjoyed last night's episode as well. Sailing continuity was not perfect and I was fairly sure that the odd headland in the background reappeared out of sequence, but some great sailing nonetheless. Appetite well wetted for getting back on these waters again next season.

chrishscorp

Visit site
It was ok, light entertainment with some sailing thrown in, had some stunning weather a lovely boat and some great places to stop over.

Some of it was clearly set up, we moored up in Brixham in the exact same spot, when we were there that pontoon was truly blathered in seagull cr@p i reckon they power washed it an hour before they turned up

dancrane

Visit site
I had two friends in the female shanty singers group

I meant no offence, I'm sure they were very good. I wouldn't know, I mostly had the sound muted.

I don't object to shanties in principle, I just never want to hear them at the times people happen to break into song.

I think the show's only problem is that nothing, nothing in it is remotely surprising. It was pleasant enough, but not fresh.

I noticed that exactly the same as during the BBC's Three Men in Another Boat, they used the theme from Last of the Mohicans, as well as another piece of music I'd only ever heard in the earlier BBC seagoing show. There's a strong aroma of re-tread, here.

awol

Visit site
As the programme is called "Britain by Boat" are they going to have lots more series to continue their discontinuity round the rest of our sceptred isles? They better hurry up as at the rate they're going it will be well into the 2030s before they get to sample Arbroath smokies.

Iain C

Visit site
Well I watched it on catchup over the last week or so, and I actually found it very enjoyable.

It is well known in modern TV editing circles that you have to have a degree of incompetence (Top Gear for example) and also jeopardy (that's the term the editors use, and it's usually some highly artificial time limit or "will they fall out" element) for that format of TV to be entertaining. Yes, there was some of that (I think I'm calling BS on the engine problem for example), and the continuity was absolutely awful, however did it make me want to go sailing, and did I enjoy spotting all the places I knew well, yes, absolutely.

In fact, I was in Falmouth at the exact time that was being filmed, which coincided with the sea shanty festival (not on purpose mind). Yes, the shanty singing on TV was a bit cringe, but even at a youthful (ish) 44 I actually really enjoyed it live...hearing the shanties in a beautiful setting such as Falmouth surrounded by lots of the old working boats had a real charm. Especially after a few in the Chain Locker. The really eagle eyed viewer may have also spotted regular YM contributors Ken & Mary Endean's Sabre 27 "London Apprentice" at anchor off the inner harbour wall too in one of the shots.

Whilst the "race" with the Popemobile catamaran was ridiculous, some of the closing shots of Bonaventure were marvellous...so often film makers include lots of pointless shots of flapping sails, where there were some superb powered up shots of her doing her stuff. The gentlemanly banter between John and Michael was pleasant enough, and hats off to C5 for making the series rather than putting some vacuous soap actors in a celebrity decorating programme or other such BS.

More please...but can you at least get a sailor to check the final edit first please?

WayneS

Visit site
A great series, only seen the first 3 fo far.

I was a bit concerned when the Poole chain ferry crossed ahead of them while they were going out of Portsmouth harbour. I know the ferry is currently in refit but..... I even had to rewind to make sure I wasnt seeing things...