Heads filling with brown water?

steve yates

Visit site
My mates sailing up skye way unhis twister and asked if I had cone scross This isdue? ….
Here is a new boat problem to try and help solve.
Head's, both seacocks closed no leaks around seacocks but bowel filling with brown water.
In theory water cannot back Syphon due to height of discharge tube.
This has happened twice on this trip…..

Never having had a working heads I have no idea :) so thought I’d ask here.
Anyone recognise this?

Minerva

Visit site
Top tip for playing with the heads - use a facemask and goggles when working on the pump. They are very effective against unwanted wastewater splashes on your lips / mouth…. 🤢

Once is enough

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Noholdingtank, and its a lavac if the model is relevant . Looks like I’ll be telling him to check his joker valve with gloves and goggles :)
It’s more than likely the problem, tell him about measuring the volume of the pipe and converting that into strokes of the pump to clear the crap out of the pipe after use, it will also stop the head ponging

geem

Visit site
Noholdingtank, and its a lavac if the model is relevant . Looks like I’ll be telling him to check his joker valve with gloves and goggles :)
He isn't pumping enough. Residue in the vertical section of the discharge pipe above the pump is bleeding back. If you want perfect clean water, pump 20 times after a no2. Lift lid. Clean bowl and pump another 20 times. Guaranteed clean water in bowl and clean pipes.

srm

Visit site
Lavac does not have a joker valve, just a big Henderson Mk5 pump on the outlet side. (or white bodied equivalent).
I have had Lavacs on a number of boats and found them to be charterer proof, fitted a new one to my current boat and still with original pump parts and seat seals 13 years later. They seem to be far more efficient and user friendly than any other I have had the doubtfull pleasure of sailing with, provided that users actually use the pump as the designer intended.

Your mate's problem is most likely, (as mentioned above) insufficient flushing water being pumped through and seepage back from the pump and discharge hose.

RupertW

Visit site
He isn't pumping enough. Residue in the vertical section of the discharge pipe above the pump is bleeding back. If you want perfect clean water, pump 20 times after a no2. Lift lid. Clean bowl and pump another 20 times. Guaranteed clean water in bowl and clean pipes.
Yes but if you use a holding tank you want to flush the minimum to clear the bowl so having a perfectly working joker valve is crucial- then no bleed back at all. We get through a couple a year on each head but it’s a quick job to change.

geem

Visit site
Yes but if you use a holding tank you want to flush the minimum to clear the bowl so having a perfectly working joker valve is crucial- then no bleed back at all. We get through a couple a year on each head but it’s a quick job to change.
It's a catch 22. Residue can stick in the joker valve. Pump through so it's clean and the valves close properly

steve yates

Visit site
Lavac does not have a joker valve, just a big Henderson Mk5 pump on the outlet side. (or white bodied equivalent).
I have had Lavacs on a number of boats and found them to be charterer proof, fitted a new one to my current boat and still with original pump parts and seat seals 13 years later. They seem to be far more efficient and user friendly than any other I have had the doubtfull pleasure of sailing with, provided that users actually use the pump as the designer intended.

Your mate's problem is most likely, (as mentioned above) insufficient flushing water being pumped through and seepage back from the pump and discharge hose.
Ah sorry, Its a jabsco, i was going from memory, somehing I really shouldnt be doing anymore :)

lustyd

Visit site
Little tip for the joker valve, fill the bowl with some bleach and fresh water and pump the whole bowl through on the air setting and let sit for an hour before starting. Once it's had time to clean things a bit and kill any nasties, pump some more on the air setting to get as much air in the pipe as you can to reduce backflow when removing the joker valve fitting.
It doesn't make the job pleasant, but certainly less unpleasant.

Pye_End

Visit site
In theory water cannot back Syphon due to height of discharge tube.
More likely, if you get a syphon problem, it is on the intake. Height itself may not be enough - it may need an anti syphon valve if you get syphoning. However, if it is happening with the seacock closed then it is unlikely.

Brown water. Mmmm. Waste or algae? If waste, how much is it being pumped through after use?

Is there a flapper valve as well as a joker on the discharge?

lustyd

Visit site
I should have said on jabsco if you don’t want to ditch it a complete new pump assembly might be quicker solution.
Rather than a cheap joker valve? Why?
Is there a flapper valve as well as a joker on the discharge?
Yes the Jabsco has a flapper valve under the pump. If the pump is in the locked position this should be pressed down so will prevent backwash if it's working.

This video is useful for those who have not yet dismantled one, as are the other Jabsco videos on their channel.

ashtead

Visit site
Only saying as a new pump unit might be simpler for the OP to just bolt on . He can then dissemble and repair the original at leisure and have a spare unit for when the new one fails.