Have you stocked the boat up ready to escape?

lauradee

Visit site
have bought my cases of bottled water, beans and soup ready to go offshore for the duration,
seriously has any one else thought it thru?
nasty disease sweeping the country, go offshore for the duration?

Trevethan

Visit site
Sounds like a bad idea...disease may take over three months to run its course likely closer to 5 months... remember foot and mouth?.. over a year.

During that time nowhere will let you land, and doubt they'll let you land afterwards either, More likely to lock you in quarantine for another 6 months or more

If you think the French are tough on visiting boats now .. can you imagine their reaction to a boat load of scabby English escaping a small pox epidemic?

Its really not a viable solution - even with a water maker, difficult to carry enough food/fuel etc, then there's the weather issue, the problems/contact you might have with foreign shipping or the RN. Could easily see a sink all vessels that pose a risk type order being issued... and if not by Vice President Blair, by other countries.

If this is a serious concern, suggest you sell boat and spend money on buying into a fall out shelter!

regards,

Nick

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Problem here the boats still on the hard!

Anyway I've got a tele ban on my boat, but I do have a bin and a larder. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Might see you on the Amarda down to the Med!

Trevor

victor_meldrew

Visit site
Its a pity that the other posts on this thread have treated your question witth such levity - perhaps it was just nervous laughter! The answer is Yes, I have considered the option but have yet to think thro the practical issues. Hopefully, I've still got a little time. One thing is clear, it is a much more viable option than some pre-fabricated fall-out shelter. Thats not the sort of threat we are likely to face. But if some ***** poisons the water supply/releases Anthrax, Smallpox, Ebola or some such, the option to rest up off-shore for the duration seems an attractive proposition. Even if it does mean living on fish. If the Spanish have left any!

<hr width=100% size=1>

lauradee

Visit site
it was initially a bit of a punt

to see what reaction was, but on second thoughts not such a bad idea, rather try to catch fish and survive offshore than try to keep smallpox ridden visitors away from the ranch.
went to angola just after the revolution and built a camp from scratch (proper oil field camp with gennys and watermaker) but nether the less know how to make things work.
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

victor_meldrew

Visit site
Re: the style seems familiar, is that you colinl?

The point to take into account is if terrorists do mount some form of chemical or biological attack on this country, the likelyhood is they will go for several targets simultaneously. And it will be no good sitting there thinking 'thank heavens I don't live Cardiff/London/Manchester etc. As panic starts to get a grip, all the basic structures of society, most importantly law and order, will break down ( this is the real 'killer' - not the germs) Sorry to be such a Job's Comforter but I do see this as a real possibility and in such circumstances I do see advantage in being able to quickly relocate, be it off-shore or a 'safe' country. As boat owners, and at minor cost, we could be one step ahead for the protection of ourselves and our families. I have already taken the precaution of relocating my boat outside the UK.

ps who's Colin?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
Victor_meldrew, has some good points. The Sunday papers say we are all to get information to help if there is a terrorist attack, there was a programme on radio 4 about civil defence. The people that know are taking this seriously.

We have the boat bunkered up and we are seriously thinking that if there is some kind of terrorist attack, bio or chemical type bomb we will take off into the Atlantic for a while.

I think after an Bush's attack on Iraq it will be worse, terrorism is the only way they have to fight back.

dan

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

Heckler

Visit site
did you see the advice?

a tired old pic of a family hiding under a table, fat lot of good that will do if some tosspot sends a nice bio bomb to us!!
typical of the government, hide in your house and do as you are told, or else!!
well there are some free spirits around who know how to look after their own.
was in angola during a cholera epidemic, luckily cholera spreads from bad hygene only. kept on bottled water and made sure the natives were extra careful around food, imigration and health service wanted to stick a rusty needle in us cause they didnt believe our shot certificates were valid, cost me 20 quid to persuade him otherwise, he wasnt to happy with libres wanted verde (green) the old yankee dollar is always king in situations like that!!
s

<hr width=100% size=1>