Hasler self steering

Gsailor

Visit site
I have been following this thread about self steering monetary value.

Wind vane self steering , a plus point or not?

and post no 27 is of import to my question.

What is the opinion of the Hasler self steering system, please?

Mine fits a boat with the reverse shear as seen in post no.27 and works with a transom hung rudder. It can be adapted with ease.

It can work with any other form of rudder installation.

I realise the mechanics of the Hasler system are different to other wind vane self steering systems.

I would be interested in the views people have of the Hasler self steering system.

I have found it does what it says on the tin and is simple and works.

What view or opinion do you have of the Hasler self steering system, please?

Thank you.

Gsailor

Visit site
Hasler SP2.

Simple to use and very effective. SS frame made to mount steering system on.

View attachment 165198

Steveeasy
Yes.

When I bought mine, I discovered it was so adaptable to whatever transom one owned.

And it works beautifully.

A few YouTube videos show it in action.

Amazing tech from an amazing WWII hero.

Let us not forget those that gave their lives (were killed) on the mission that made Hasler a hero.

Hasler was incredible in WWII and he continued to produce many wonderful things - the Jester Challenge ... etc

and to create a pretty good self steering system that uses the wind - no electrons needed.

A hero in many ways.

srm

Visit site
I think there was a version with a trim tab on the trailing edge of the rudder and a servo pendulum model, but am happy to stand corrected.
My impression is the design was developed when smallish boats with directionally stable hulls were the norm. On such a boat it would be very good, but would probably struggle with more recent designs that lack the inherent directional stability.

Gsailor

Visit site
I think there was a version with a trim tab on the trailing edge of the rudder and a servo pendulum model, but am happy to stand corrected.
My impression is the design was developed when smallish boats with directionally stable hulls were the norm. On such a boat it would be very good, but would probably struggle with more recent designs that lack the inherent directional stability.
Thanks. I have never seen a version with a trim tab.

Mine was taken off a 36 footer awb.

It worked very smoothly and all YouTube videos show happy sailors.

Reactions: srm

dboboc

Visit site
In addition to the SP2 and SP3 Hasler windvanes, there was an earlier version that didn’t have a built-in frame to support the windvane shaft and was usually supported by a boat’s existing stern rail. This version had a galvanized frame that the pendulum oar sat in, with a wooden quadrant that sat on top of the oar which transferred the steering forces to the helm. Yachts such as Galway Blazer ll, Teignmouth Electron, Nicolette Milnes Walkers’ “Aziz”, and Robin Lee Graham’s “return of Dove” used this type of windvane.

V1701

Visit site
I had an SP3 on a Bowman 26, Video of it here. Worked well, Once vane and rudder are removed the whole thing folds up out of harms way. Had a shorter and a longer rudder. If you have one and a boat that it's suitable for they're a great bit of kit to have...(y)

Wansworth

Visit site
I bought the hablar servo geared steering that was fitted to “opus” in the Oscar about 1972,lots of fiddling to get it to work which it did in stron winds

WoodyP

Visit site
I would have thought that someone would re engineer the Hasler wind vane, as it was a good working design. Probably too small demand to make it profitable.

dboboc

Visit site
I would have thought that someone would re engineer the Hasler wind vane, as it was a good working design. Probably too small demand to make it profitable.
I agree that low demand may be a factor, but I also think advancements having been made by using horizontally pivoted vanes which are more sensitive and effective. These were being offered on the commercial market at the same time as the Hasler unit, but for some unknown reason Mr. Hasler didn’t follow suit.